adjusting firing pressure on Omer flexipoint gun

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
boscawen46
Organisation: james frederick
Interests: framing,woodwork

adjusting firing pressure on Omer flexipoint gun

Post by boscawen46 »

Hello,
I have an Omer pneumatic flexipoint gun as shown that works well but I want to reduce the depth that it fires the 15mm tabs into the frame rebate. At the moment it fires them in so that about 4mm is sticking out proud and these are hard to bend back and also don't really cover the MDF back by enough. On top of the gun there is a black plastic "dial" that turns, is this to increase/reduce firing strength ? Thanks in advance
James
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: adjusting firing pressure on Omer flexipoint gun

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm not sure that this sounds quite right. I have never heard of an adjustable firing depth on a flexipoint gun before. The firing depth should be fixed by the way that the gun operates and the firing pin should have a limited range of travel. Are you operating the gun at a wildly excessive air pressure, which is causing excessive velocity being imparted to the flexipoint.

Normally the round plastic bit on the top of most pneumatic guns, enable the exhaust point for the compressed air to be pointed away from your face. Flexipoint guns normally leave about 7mm, or 8mm of the flexipoint having out of the moulding. I am not an Omer flexipoint gun user, mine is a different type of pneumatic flexipoint gun, but I am assuming that yours will probably operate essentially in the same way as mine.

Underpinners are fed with a much higher level of air pressure than flexipoint guns. Are you trying to operate a flexipoint gun and an underpinner on the same level of compressed air?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

You could always shorten the firing pin in the gun by filing it down. But I expect that you've got too much air pressure.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

What is the pressure when it reaches the gun
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I know about over pressure driving pins and staples to far and find this useful when hidding them under a bit of filler, it works well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
boscawen46

Post by boscawen46 »

Hi all thanks for your replies. The pressure of reaching the gun is 4 bar and so certainly not too much pressure.
Thanks
boscawen46

Post by boscawen46 »

Hi ,
After not being able to solve this via pressure adjustment I decided to go down another route.
Using a small piece of steel that I had lying around I modelled an extension to where the flexipoint comes out as seen in photo. I superglued it on. This holds the nozzle about 4mm further away and therefore the tab doesn't drive so far in.
Works great and has solved my problem.
Cheers
James
IMG_20210924_181944.jpg
Not your average framer

That's neat! Well done!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer