Can I use an electric planner on obeche?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Can I use an electric planner on obeche?

Post by Not your average framer »

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using an electric planner on obeche. I'm assuming it will work just fine, but wanted to be sure before I go and buy one to incorporate one into a home made thinkness planner, which I am hoping to make.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Can I use an electric planner on obeche?

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Home made thickness planers area sure way of loosing fingers. Get a real one from screwfix.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Alan,

I never realised that. Thanks for the warning!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Hi Alan,

I'm wondering if I can get away without getting a planner thicknesser, as I have already got a surface planner, it's like what the Amercan's call a jointer. It does not necessarily plane two surfaces to be completely parallel to each other. but perhaps if I cut the edge first on my table saw to be parallel against the table saw fence it would be parallel enough to just clean up that edge enough on my surface planner and still get a reasonably parallel and smooth, clean edge.

I don't think that for the amount of use that a thicknesser planner is going to get, that it's going to save me enough money to justify the price of a planner thicknesser! One of the mouldings I am looking at cutting down to use in different ways is Simons 000K/0262. My thinking is to use the rebated edge cut down to create a stepped sight edge on and what is a fairly inexpensive moulding, but as it will become a much more interesting moulding and it will have become a much more desirable moulding worth a better price.

I already use this Simons moulding for use in stacked moulding frames and also for box frame spacers. it makes a very deep box frame extension section which sits inside the front frame section to hold the glass in place, but it's not easy getting the flexi tabs in a the necessary angle for them to not exit through the outside of this thin moulding. It's a very usefully priced moulding and is very useful for lots of different and unusual uses. Being 34mm x 12mm cross section it is very useful for cutting down to make spacer for the inside of box frames.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I already have an Einhell hand held electric planner, which came with a rebate cutting guide supplied with the planner as standard. I have been thinking about whether I might at sometime use the planner for cutting rebates, at some point in time. I've also been thinking about whether I might try gluing lengths of wood to existing mouldings and planning the outside edges of the moulding to create flush sides with no visible join lines. So I have not completely abandoned all ideas of planing mouldings to create what I am likely to require.

When gluing up moulding and lengths of wood to make deeper mouldings, I can lay the edges of both pieces of wood flat onto a flat surface to get them lined up while gluing and pinning them together and then lightly plane the outer faces to clean them up and lose the glue line. I could very likely do this with my table top surface planner, which I already have. When I bought my surface planner, it was always with the intension of using it as part of my framing set up. However losing my fingers is definitely not intended to be part of the deal.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer