Oak or ash tray frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
nolonstacey
Organisation: The Nolon Stacey Gallery
Interests: Artist

Oak or ash tray frames

Post by nolonstacey »

Does anyone know of any suppliers that offer solid oak or ash tray frame mouldings? I’ve looked at most of the main suppliers and I’m quite surprised none offer it. I know there are oak veneers and obeche, but even Rose & Hollis don’t do one.

Anyone ever come across one?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Oak or ash tray frames

Post by Not your average framer »

I make mine using a flat oak moulding with the rabate turned to the rear of the frame and a fillet fixed in the rebate. Most of the convenintly sized flat oak mouldings are not that convenient for underpinning into the edge of the sight edge lip, so I just clamp and cross nail the corner joints with my headless pinner and drive the pins slightly below the surface with a nail punch and fill to hide the pins. I usually use a particular obeche moulding to make up the fillet and drill and counterbore the screw holes so that I can use pan head wood screws to avoid splitting the wood used from the fillet as I tighten the wood screws.

Until recently I have always had suitable flat pine mouldings in stock to make ordinary flat oak frames as well. I find it very useful to stock a variety of bare wood moulding which I can used for a variety of different uses. Oak always used to be one of my best selling wood for frames and I had a bit of a shock with the recent price increases for oak mouldings and did not re-order my oak mouldings when I needed to. Consequently I now am pretty low on my stocks of oak and need to re-stock quite soon. Oak always looks top quality!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

Thanks Mark. I must admit, you lost me there a bit but I’ll try to get my head around it when I can find a pencil and some paper (I’m a pencil artist - how do I not have a pencil in my house!!)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It's a wide flat moulding which has been flipped through 90 degrees, so that the rabate is not at the rear of the frame. The fillet is added into the rear of the frame and this completes the turning of the frame into a tray. The fillet is the flat surface at the rear of the frame onto which the canvas is going to be fitted. I am not the only person who does this and as far as I know his tends to be a very common method of producing tray frames! If you have got a Rose and Hollis catalogue there is a page near the back of the catalogue with a sub title of "Canvas Profiles and trays". This page should expain what I am talking about! I hope that this helps!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Hi Nolonstacey,

Centrado do one in oak.

https://centrado.co/product/stelvio-oak ... oa-9987oa/

As a bare wood, oak tends to look smarter, but ash would be cheaper. I am sure there may be other options at different suppliers.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

R&H do a, stepped tray frame but I've found it difficult if the canvas isn't perfectly square. We've made them using a wide oak frame turned on its head with the rebate on the inside, then affix mdf from the back. The mdf is then painted.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Post by Fruitini »

Oak faced ply could be an option for your backing board if you are looking for that all round oak look
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

fusionframer wrote: Sun 02 Oct, 2022 8:28 am Hi Nolonstacey,

Centrado do one in oak.

https://centrado.co/product/stelvio-oak ... oa-9987oa/

As a bare wood, oak tends to look smarter, but ash would be cheaper. I am sure there may be other options at different suppliers.

Nick
Hi Nick. I've just this morning framed something in that very moulding. it's really nice, but the artist would have preferred a solid oak version.
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

Not your average framer wrote: Sat 01 Oct, 2022 8:07 pm It's a wide flat moulding which has been flipped through 90 degrees, so that the rabate is not at the rear of the frame. The fillet is added into the rear of the frame and this completes the turning of the frame into a tray. The fillet is the flat surface at the rear of the frame onto which the canvas is going to be fitted. I am not the only person who does this and as far as I know his tends to be a very common method of producing tray frames! If you have got a Rose and Hollis catalogue there is a page near the back of the catalogue with a sub title of "Canvas Profiles and trays". This page should expain what I am talking about! I hope that this helps!
Thanks Mark. I get now. For some reason I assumed you were talking about a box moulding turned upside down rather than a flat moulding. I couldn't work out what would happen with the rebate in that instance, but I get it now.