2x Canvasses

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
NTG999
Organisation: Avenues Picture Framing
Interests: Classic cars

2x Canvasses

Post by NTG999 »

Hi, a customer dropped off a couple of canvasses with some vague requirements, I need to contact them to discuss the options.
Canvas 1 has been trimmed at the top (see image) and bottom but not the sides, White frame with glass, my thoughts were fold sides around a backing board or trim with owners permission? My concern with folding is running out of rebate space
Canvas 2 (see image) difficulties with the corner due to paint, this requires double mount, frame and glass, my concerns were achieving flatness, considering low tack backing board and/or trimming, or possibly re-stretching
Any input welcome
Best regards
Nick
Attachments
PXL_20221230_161151334.jpg
PXL_20221230_161048793.jpg
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Re: 2x Canvasses

Post by Fruitini »

Do you have a heat press? MountCor Canvas (available from Lion) is a great product for adhering canvas. It activates at lower temperatures than usual dry mounting tissue/film so less potential to do damage to paint or inkjet surface of the canvas. The substrate is a 5mm stiff foamboard so could potentially double up as a backing board if rebate space is an issue. Clearly you would need to advise your client that these aren’t being conventionally stretched but in my experience most will be happy for your advice on the best way to keep these flat, especially if they are of no or little value.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Why the double mat(mount)? Mat's are for paper art. Stretcher bars are for canvas. With a spacer/slip if glazed.

I have stuck canvases down (small ones) but only if there is good reason. Those look OK for stretching, indeed they
look as though they have previously been stretched.

Sorry to carp. It just seems a rather torturous method to me. :roll: :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I assume your photos are the wrong way round.
I agree with prospero, the one where you're showing the corner has already been stretched and will be easy to stretch again.
Occasionally I get a customer who is keen on a mount or double mount with a canvas, but I still stretch it and just use foamboard around the sides to pack it out inside the frame.
For the other one I would be wanting to stretch the top and bottom so that the image is wrapped around the stretcher bars.
Anytime in the past where I haven't stretched a canvas it has just led to problems in the future so now I insist on it.
NTG999
Organisation: Avenues Picture Framing
Interests: Classic cars

Post by NTG999 »

Hi, sorry - yes the photos are the wrong way round for my text. They are keen on the double mount on one of them; I will have a conversation with the customer