PAPYRUS MIOUNTING

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

PAPYRUS MIOUNTING

Post by DEEPJOY »

I HAVE READ THE PAST TOPIS ON FRAMING PAPYRUS, BUt the one thing I fail to understand is - If the art is sandwiched between 2 sheets of glas, what keeps the art from falling or slipping down beween the 2 glass panes? Is the glass sandwich enough to holit?
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: PAPYRUS MIOUNTING

Post by JKX »

If that’s the look you want - ie seeing the wall through the frame, then you could simply use a few dabs of adhesive on the back of the thing, or, if you wanted to give it a fighting chance, you could float mount it to a board slightly smaller, fix that board to the back piece of glass with whatever you like and then space the front piece of glass away from it.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

JKX wrote: Fri 03 Feb, 2023 2:43 pm If that’s the look you want - ie seeing the wall through the frame, then you could simply use a few dabs of adhesive on the back of the thing, or, if you wanted to give it a fighting chance, you could float mount it to a board slightly smaller, fix that board to the back piece of glass with whatever you like and then space the front piece of glass away from it.
Thank you, I think the floating method could be the best solution especially given the papyrus is over 1800mm wide by 900mm high. This will also remove a layer of glazing.

What do you use to attach the papyrus to the smaller float board?
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

1.62 sq m+ - and that's not including space around it! You were thinking of TWO sheets of glass that size?

Unless you want it to weigh a ton with thick or even laminated glass, use acrylic, at least 6mm, which itself will still be quite heavy.

If there is now no rear piece of glass, you can float mount direct to mounting board, using the fallout (hedgehog) method or not, or you could do a "pedestal" float.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
AtelierFrames
Organisation: Atelier Frames
Interests: Arts, crafts, sports, outdoors

Post by AtelierFrames »

framed a large papyrus last year and after doing some research I opted to use Japanese paper tape and wheat starch glue to adhere the papyrus to a 5mm foam board. I found the foam board gave more stability when moving it around for framing. I weighted it down whilst adhering it as the papyrus was quite waves.

I also glazed with acrylic.
Attachments
20221216_205155.jpg
20221216_205146.jpg