Painting on Silk but to see frayed edges

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Painting on Silk but to see frayed edges

Post by huntvambo »

I have a customer that has a painting on silk (30 x 56cm) and she wants to see the frayed edges of the silk, there is no value to the piece and she is okay for it to be "glued" to the back mount. She has specifically said no lacing or stitching as she wants to see the frayed edges. Suggested the Newbury method but she wants to see the frayed edges!

I thought maybe using a hot press but is this an option with silk? Which tissue / film would be suitable.

If it's okay to dry mount I'd choose a suitably coloured backmount and there will be a top window mount. Any other points to watch out for?

Thank you in advance.

Paul
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Painting on Silk but to see frayed edges

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I would not risk heat as it may shrink the silk and fuse the paints.

What about sandwiching between two sheets of glass? Not a very conservation friendly solution but may be acceptable to your customer.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You could use a DCO mount (Direct Contact Overlay)

Vary basically - cover your mounting board with quilt wadding, cover that with fabric to make a 'pillow' and use Abrasion Resistant acrylic directly against it, not glass.

That would cost a fair bit more than sticking it down though and if that's the solution then like J2M says, I'd avoid heat.

You could use self-adhesive board - score an area just larger than the piece in the centre of the board and remove the release paper. Trouble with that is you've got one colour to choose from, white. You could use a window mount just larger than the frayed edge, but you'd still see white through it.

So another idea may be to use PMA (Positionable Mounting Adhesive) - burnish a piece of that to board, colour of your choice and again just smaller than the piece, remove the release paper. Or maybe there's a film you can use in your press with no heat?
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Hey Paul (Huntvambo) - I have sent a reply to your email...

Clear DMF with no heat - to begin with - is an option in a press - I have sent Paul full instructions - the first couple of stages are "very non invasive" - dependant on these results he may choose to let everyone know how he gets on...

It's so exciting - is it - :sweating: or :clap: - still - there is nothing to worry about - as the tips won't affect the silk if he chooses another route...
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have drymounted silk paintings many yonks ago. Not really the 'done thing' but if the customer insists.....

Cut a piece of drymount film slightly smaller than the piece and mount that first, leaving the release paper on the up side. The let it cool and peel off the release. Smooth the silk into position ensuring no film is visible on the edges. The film is slightly tacky so it will hold in place. Put back in the press for a few seconds only. Turn the heat down a bit. I only needs a slight grab to hold it. No need for a really hard bond. This way the silk can be peeled off without damage later if need be.

Cons:

The colour of the backing board will have a marked effect on any unpainted parts as silk is quite translucent.

The film is reflective and might give the piece a slightly sparkly effect by showing through the weave. Maybe not a prob as silk can be slightly sparkly too.

You may get a visible line where the film ends. Depends just how raggy the edges are.
The heat may effect the paints. Know way of knowing this until you do it. Inform the customer of the risks. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About