Double-Sided Frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
HTF
Organisation: Hang Tough Framing
Interests: Art Music Life

Double-Sided Frame

Post by HTF »

Hi there,

I hope I find you all well this Monday Morning.

I have a customer looking for a double-sided frame for a vinyl record as he can't decide which side he'd like to be shown. I'll need to make two 12" frames and bond them together but does anybody have any ideas on how to secure the glass on both sides with the framers points hidden. I'd like like to somehow not use a mount if possible.
Any advice is most welcome, thanks in advance

Best Regards
M
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Re: Double-Sided Frame

Post by easypopsgcf »

Clear silicon will hold the glass without the need for framers points............just a very fine line around the rebate as you dont want it squeezing out and getting onto the face of the frame............do it the night before you want to assemble it and once its set the glass will not move. Job done 8)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Wwwwwwwwwelcome to The Forum!

As you'll be able to see the frames' rebates you'll probably want to cover them and can kill two birds with one stone.

Cover foam board strips with mount board, colour of your/customer''s choice. Make the strips the exact depth of the rebates minus 2 sheets of glass. Clean one piece of glass, drop it in a frame, stick the strips in so that you have a box poking out and drop the other piece of glass/frame over that.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Rather than do a double-sided frame, why not fit a removable back so that he can flip the LP and mount over whenever he wants to display the other side. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
HTF

Post by HTF »

Thanks for the speedy replies.

The clear silicone will work perfectly.

Thanks again
Vince442
Organisation: Alchemy Art & Framing Ltd
Interests: Art, photography, architecture, bonsai, travelling

Post by Vince442 »

The silicone will work but I believe the suggestion from Roboframer will give a better finish :)
easypopsgcf

Post by easypopsgcf »

I didn't suggest using a mount for one reason only..........something the OP stated...........and perhaps he has thought of covering the rebate or colouring it?
I'd like like to somehow not use a mount if possible.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's not a mount, it's a glass spacer concealed by the frame lip that doubles up to conceal the rebate and the joins.

You could silicone-seal that as well; I wouldn't.
HTF

Post by HTF »

I will also try Robframers method.
"stick the strips in so that you have a box poking out" - could you elaborate this part please
Go raibh maith agat
easypopsgcf

Post by easypopsgcf »

I know exactly what you mean mate, having used this and many variations on numerous occasions..................but i think if this method was adopted here, there would be a space between the 2 bits of glass, which would then give the OP the problem of how to secure an LP without the use of a mount to stabilise it.
My guess is he wants to sandwich it between the 2 bits of glass? , whichn won't be that simple either unless the frames only have 2mm rebates.
I wasn't trying to cast aspersions :roll:
HTF

Post by HTF »

Aye, I would like to sandwich the record between 2 sheets of glass but will come up against too much idol space within the rebate
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

easypopsgcf wrote:I wasn't trying to cast aspersions
I know, I know - both methods would have the glass the same distance apart and for that reason I wasn't imagining the record touching the glass and I'd strongly recommend you don't do that.

But if you must then the spacers would still work - just have them on the outside - spacer-glass-record-glass-spacer.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

........ or of course it could go - glass, spacer, record, spacer, glass, then the record wouldn't touch the glass. The spacers would conceal parts of the edge of the record, but so would the lip of the frame if you were close-framing it.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

HTF wrote: I'd like like to somehow not use a mount if possible.
Why?

Back-to-back reverse bevelled mounts would hold it securely, keep it away from the glass and would look a whole lot better than the wall it's hanging on visible through the glass.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Fáilte go dti an Forum, HTF. :)

FWIW, I'd go with Robo's suggestion of the reverse-bevelled mounts with the LP in between them.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If you have a CMC you could cut the spacers with parallel sides, but a slight curve along the full length of these spacers, so that the would be a little gentle pressure to stop the glass from rattling.

How are you going to fasten the two halves of the frame together? Rare earth magnets are one possible method.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer