Acrylic boxes

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Roboframer

Acrylic boxes

Post by Roboframer »

Who makes custom acrylic boxes? I'm sure it's been asked before but I can't find a thread.

It's for this stupid looking thing.
bunny duck.jpg
Graysalchemy

Re: Acrylic boxes

Post by Graysalchemy »

Give Andy Caley at Retail Engineering Design a call 01482333800. I have used him before quality was good however they are quite expensive but they are bespoke.

http://www.plasticonline.co.uk/

Alistair
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We used a company called Widdowsons in Colchester (email sales@widdowsonltd.co.uk) to have a bespoke acrylic box made back in January 2010. It was for a stuffed hare and was quite large. They made it exactly to specification, it didn't cost the earth and was incredibly well packaged when delivered. We dealt with someone called Ian. I would certainly recommend them for all types of acrylic boxes.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Another source is:

New Cross Design and Display

very good service and quality
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks everyone - will have a closer look at these tomorrow.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Update, I picked two from the above and filled out the form in the 'contact us' on their website.

No reply for too long and when I was about to give up and contact the other two and/or look for more, the other one phoned me. Explained what I wanted, complete with dimensions, was told I'd be sent an email with a price - didn't happen.

Chased it, was asked for what I wanted again - gave it - still no response!

These people, plus a shedload more from outside our trade, need to take a trip to Bedford to see how Arqadia does things!
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Sorry that you have not had a good response Robo. My first experience of acrylic boxes was a freakin disaster. Luckily the company has not been given above.
20 acrylic boxes, paid up front in full £2750 ex VAT, shocking response to email/phone calls, went over the guaranteed delivery deadline, and when they did arrive the so called backing of "high quality white composite backboard" was in fact two pieces of 3.5mm foamboard which had not even been cut with a blunt knife, but with a spoon, or torn by hand. Add to that numerous dents, bubbles, and lifting surface paper in the foamboard and lots of glue residue all over the acrylic and the overall effect was truly carp.
Attachments
quality workmanship
quality workmanship
acrylic1.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
quality workmanship
quality workmanship
acrylic7.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 4326 times