Help chopping paper-wrapped moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
leedsframer
Organisation: Family Portraits
Interests: Scuba diving, cars

Help chopping paper-wrapped moulding

Post by leedsframer »

Hi all, well I'm new here :)
I make around 5-800 frames a week as I do contract picture framing, mostly 10x12" and 14x11" and all in various forms of wood.

I have just landed a contract and the customer requires the frames delivering to New Zealand, he's organising a freight company etc
The problem is due to restrictions on exporting wood to NZ he sent us a sample of an MDF moulding wrapped in paper.
The MDF cuts very nicely, but I cannot cut it without the paper wrap peeling away slightly on the corners which is clearly not good enough.I'm using a very old Morso that has always served me well, with freshly-sharpened blades which are perfectly aligned.
Any suggestions on how to deal with the issue of the paper de-laminating?

Cheers guys :D
prospero

Re: Help chopping paper-wrapped moulding

Post by prospero »

Welcome leedsfarmer. :D

Assuming you have to work with that specific moulding, you could try running a thin strip of wood along the morso fence to give the cut extra support. The first slice will go though the strip and back up the edge and every subsequent cut will be snug. Also the back of the moulding will be cut slightly back from the edge of the Morso blades. (You will have to account for the width of the strip when setting the measuring stops).

If that doesn't work you have little choice other than dabbing all the corners with PVA and wiping off the excess. (Major PITA.) :(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
leedsframer
Organisation: Family Portraits
Interests: Scuba diving, cars

Post by leedsframer »

Thanks mate
Already tried a strip of mountcard against the Morso fence but made little difference.I'm thinking a dab of PVA may be the only option :sweating:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Personally, I would avoid MDF paper wrapped mouldings completely. If these frames are travelling as sea frieght, then they probably will be suject to considerable atmospheric humidity and temperature variations on route, but also the climate in NZ may be sufficiently different to cause problems with paper wrap moulding tested and produced for the UK market.

Humidity and temperature play a big part in the perforance of many types of adhesive and since the paper wrap is only held in place by a thin self adhesive, some risks are best avoided if you can. Also MDF mouldings can be heavy items to ship and will therefore cost extra because of the weight.

Another factor to consider is that where the paper has lifted, any self adhesive residue on the paper is likely to provent any PVA glue from adequately bonding any lifted paper back onto the MDF core.

The easy answer is to use a similar looking polymer moulding and save yourself having to worry about any of these problems, or risk factors.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

When I read this post I wrote to a good friend in NZ and asked his opinion....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi XXXXX

How are you and the biz?

Just read this and naturally thought of you

http://www.theframersforum.com/viewtopi ... =32&t=6960

Whats your opinion?

Keith HEWITT
=================================
His reply....

Hah, I bet I know which contract too... I have never had issues with importing timber for a start and the restrictions are quite lightweight I think. Paper wrapped finishes have historically failed in NZ and more recently foiled synthetics have become popular cheap alternatives.

====================

Hope this helps you!
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg