Get help and framing advice from the framing community
savage
Organisation: Home
Interests: Printing, photography, memorabillia,

bolt size

Post by savage »

Hi all,
Been a while since I looked in.
I need help with a thread size on my MorsoF.
I bought a Morso some months back and had it in storage until i had my workshop built.
Things as they are and the job situation it took longer than i thought to get set up. A LOT longer.
Anyway i set up the machines recently. I have an underpinner the Ultimat gold and the morso.
As luck would have it I am a bolt missing on the morso!!!!!!!!
It is the bolt that holds on the measuring arm on the right. There are 2 location pins and a bolt holds it in place.
I cannot for the life of me get one?
I am sure it is imperial as the machine was built in the 70s/80s I would guess I keep being given metric.
I cant give the size to the hardware shop as I dont know it.
I have asked Morso for a manual as I read that they send out a pdf for ones machine, but I have been waiting for almost a month.
Anyone any idea of the size and the thread the bolt that attaches the rule to the right hand size is please?

Thanks

Tony
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: bolt size

Post by Not your average framer »

I just measured the diameter across the threads on my Morso and it looks to me like it could be an M8 bolt. Have you tried speaking to Stewart at Lion, or Joe at Simons?

These guys have all this sort of info at their finger tips and will get you sorted in no time at all.

BTW, considering the weight which is hanging on this bolt, It's gonna a high tensile bolt, so it would be a good move to get the proper bolt and save yourself having any unwanted problems.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
savage

Post by savage »

Hi
I have bought a M8 bolt from B&Q. It is slightly small and will only turn about one and a half times. The thread is wrong. The pitch is too small.
I am sure it is imperial and not metric due to the age of the machine.
The weight thing I do not see as a problem as there are 2 location pins that will position and help with the weight.
I do agree though that i would like to purchase a genuine part.
Do the people you mention frequent the forum as Lion is quite local for me.

Thanks for your reply and input.
Much appreciated.

Tony
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I am pretty sure you can get this from Lion
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

From a quick google search on screw threads .... "By 1875 two thirds of the European population and close on half the world's population had adopted the metric system. The principal European countries not to have adopted the metric system were Russia and the United Kingdom"

Being made in Denmark it's probably metric, regardless of age - unless they went to the trouble of making BSW, BSF ...whatever threads just for the UK market - plus different ones again for the US.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Interesting question....

It's just possible that Morso have their own thread. Or use custom sizes that are not generally available. I just measured the thread on the pedal locking stop and it's 9.2mm. Not as standard size as far as I know.

Just had a quick gooogle about and all I could find out is that a set of blade bolts would cost £60-odd quid. :?

btw. According to the website, Dan-List are on holiday from 18 July-7 August so that's maybe why they aren't answering.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Sam Cook
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: .

Post by Sam Cook »

Hi Tony

The bolt that fits our guillotine Right Hand Extension is M12 x 40, I am pretty sure it will fit the Morso as well.
We have them here so if you want to let me have your address I can post one out to you - if it doesn't fit then you can recycle it!!

Sam
Sam Cook
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: .

Post by Sam Cook »

..... just been reliably informed our bolts are 1.75 pitch
savage

Post by savage »

Hi again
Firsty thank you very much Sam.Very much appreciated. I have it sorted now.
Just to let people know I have now got a bolt from Lion.
First time I have been there, what a great shop and so helpful.
For peoples information I asked the knowledgable assistant what size the bolt was.
At first he said it was a 3/8 UNC thread and used his calipers to measure it. He was suprised that it is actually a M10 metric bolt but not a standard thread size. He looked through his papers and said it had a wider pitch of 2 mm (bit wider pitch than the 1.75 Sam) as it needed that as it was to attatch cast iron. The socket size to fit is 19mm,
So there you have it.
You cant just walk into B&Q or an ironmongers (as I have been doing) as it is not a standard bolt. One needs to get it from the manufactures or a shop like Lion.
I hope the info I have given is helpful and correct.
The part number is: DAN55716015 and fits the Morso F-H-EH.
The cost was £2.18 with the VAT.
PS
I even managed to get the Manual also.
Heres to my first attempts since I did the course. :sweating:
savage

Post by savage »

Hmm, cant seem to edit?
The socket size to fit is 19mm
That should read 16mm.

I now how it all set up and will no doubt be ruining many metres of moulding this weekend.
Luckily I have lots of bits of scrap to practice on.