US moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

US moulding

Post by birdman »

I have a customer who is an American ex-pat, who bought some frames in Philadelphia some years ago. She is looking some more that are the same or similar. They are brown (possibly walnut or light mahogany) with a gold sight edge. The outside edges are black. The moulding, which scoops in towards the glass, is 15mm wide and 22mm deep. Here are a couple of photos:
US moulding 1.jpg
US moulding 1.jpg (7.39 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
US moulding 2.jpg
US moulding 2.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
In between customers I am looking through my supplier catalogues but does it ring any bells with anyone?

All help gratefully received as always.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
prospero

Re: US moulding

Post by prospero »

Never seen anything quite like that Rolf. You might try posting on the Grumble. If someone has some it wouldn't be vastly expensive to get someone to chop the rails and ship them. Although I find in this sort of situation it's often more economic to reframe the whole lot in something that's readily available. If they are a few years old it might be disco'd anyway.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
birdman

Post by birdman »

Yeah I have warned her it may well be disco'd but she has a lot of them with antique prints in and now has purchased even more prints that she wants in similar frames. I've also explained that being a US moulding it might not be available in the UK. She doesn't want to re-frame the others 'cause she loves them "just the way they are".

She has a huge collection of stuff she wants framed or re-framed so I'm doing my level best to be helpful to "keep the customer satisfied". :D
She's a nice customer and fairly flexible, but the Grumble may be an option if my suggestions aren't to her liking.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

That moulding was made by Ivy Moulding. The company was closed after the owner "borrowed some money" from the companies bank. :cash:

The bank liquidated his company.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
birdman

Post by birdman »

Thanks Jerome,

Well at least that gives me something to tell my customer. So I'm now probably searching for a "lookalike" moulding.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
My status