Recommendations for an underpinner

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Kathy
Organisation: Midlands
Interests: Cross stitch, jigsaws, reading

Recommendations for an underpinner

Post by Kathy »

Hi Guys,

I am now in a position to purchase a new underpinner, and was would like to know what people recommend.
Thanks in advance.

Kathy
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Recommendations for an underpinner

Post by Merlin »

Kathy
You might get more realistic responses if you stated the volume and type of moulding you are using. Also what your budget is.
John GCF
Kathy
Organisation: Midlands
Interests: Cross stitch, jigsaws, reading

Post by Kathy »

Apologies, should have given more info. My budget is approximately £1000.00. Volumes are unkown, as this is business is still in its early stages.

In addition to the standard picutres/photos, I hope to include sports jerseys, fabric and 3D items. I expect the lengths to be over 55 cm in length, using moulding widths of up to 5.5 - 6 cm and rebate depths of 15mm or more.

Regards,
Kathy
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Cassese CS88 seems to be a popular and reliable starter machine within your budget. I would not bother with the pnuematic version as the mechanicals are the same except for air powered hammer and clamp.

Lion no longer sell Cassese but they do have an Inmes pnuematic at under £1000 (list £999). Not heard any reports on them but perhaps other forum members might be able to tell you.

Framers Equipment in Northampton is worth checking out and they do have some secondhand machines form time to time with guarentee and service back up.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Check out the Wessex pictures web site as well for their 2nd hand machines.

Agree Cassesse is a good starting point.
John GCF
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

As I'm someone who recently did the same thing (bought a second hand manual Cassese), you should also be aware that you'll NEED either extension arms or an additional means of supporting longer mouldings. I obtained a large supply of knackered moulding through trying to balance longer lengths on all sorts of shelves, boxes and the wife before building a suitable bench extension!
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If you have a decent sized workbench and can find a table-top model, you can sink it in to one corner to make the whole bench your frame support.