Trouble with miter saw

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jarvman
Organisation: Photographer
Interests: Photography, Framing, Drinking

Trouble with miter saw

Post by Jarvman »

Hi All, I was wondering if anybody here could give me some help with a miter saw I have. It's a heavy duty De-Walt built into a long workbench that I bought from the local picture framer who was closing down. It was working perfectly at his gaff, but since moving it in a van to my place I've had problems.

The circular saw won't cut a true 45 degree miter anywhere near as good as my hand table saw will. The bench appears to be level from left to right using of a straight edge. However, upon inspecting today it looks like the metal bed of the saw is sloping downwards. In fact, the whole bench while level left to right, appears to slope backwards when checked with a spirit level.

I've checked the blade with a set square and its coming down onto the bench at a right angle. Who might be the best sort of person to ask locally to take a look at it? Any help would be really appreciated. It's been out of kilter for months and it's really starting to do my head in being unable to solve the problem.
prospero

Re: Trouble with miter saw

Post by prospero »

They never do cut an consistently accurate 45deg. That's why framers spend 1000's on saws. :D

Sometimes the angle locking screw will throw them off angle if you tighten it too hard. Try a cut without screwing it in fully. Other than that, it's hit or miss I'm afraid. :(

If it was working OK for it's previous owner, it was more good luck than judgement.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About