framing fabric

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

framing fabric

Post by Teresa »

Part of a big job im doing, is to frame a lot of fabric,each frame is 80x80 cm. mount apperture 40x40cm, they want it done as cheaply as poss.and suggested spray mounting the fabric, I cant do that ! im thinking of using foam board. staple the fabric to it adding the mount and into the frame, no need for backing board. not my usual standard of work, but they have a budget and if I get it right its a good one, question is what thickness foam board do I need if im not using backing , and where do i get it for the best price,I have 106 to do, thanks.
prospero

Re: framing fabric

Post by prospero »

Depending on the type of fabric and how much spare border you have to play with, you could do them fairly swiftly using the Newberry method. 5mm foamcore should do the trick.

I'll wait to hear if you know what the Newberry method is before explaining it. :wink: )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If you used the Newberry (tight fit) method, you'd need a backing board to hide the spare fabric.

Foam board won't hold staples, not unless they go right through and are hammered closed, (but then you have to watch you don't staple it to your workbench, so a piece of foam board underneath would be good) or unless you can get a serious paper stapler with enough reach - still need a backing board in both cases though.

You could probably buy budget mount board and backing board together for about the same as the cheapest foam board and staple or even tag the fabric to the mount board.

But if these things don't lay flat i.e. they need to be stretched or stuck down, then stretching, even with staples, is going to take time, so; bearing in mind the customer's priorities (cost and presentation) I'd probably dry mount them - THEN you could use foam board and no backing - if indeed that would be cheaper than dry mounting to budget mount board and adding a backing.
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

Post by Teresa »

Newberry ! now theres a method I haven't heard of ! can you please explain.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

See 'absolute framing's' posts in this topic http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 41&p=17971