morso blade problems

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
beadle
Organisation: picture this
Interests: framing

morso blade problems

Post by beadle »

having problems with wear on my morso blades. There seems to be no obvious point of contact but the evidence is there for all to see, always in theexact same place and resulting in the blades chipping. Any ideas (See attached pic). Thanks.
Attachments
P1020409.JPG
P1020409.JPG (3.17 MiB) Viewed 4400 times
Roboframer

Re: morso blade problems

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome to the forum, beadle

Run your finger along the sides of the fixed blades to feel for a burr. It looks like there's a fair build-up of gunge in those bolt recesses so maybe the bolts are not all the way home and have hit the fixed blades. Weird that the chip seems to be exactly in the same place on each blade though. Do you have spare sets and if so is it the same on all?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi beadle. :D

What sort of moulding have you been cutting?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
beadle

Post by beadle »

A variety of mouldings have been cut, the spare set did have the exact same problem and so were sent for sharpening. Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know of a good Morso servicer in the south west region?
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's a bit of a poser. :shock:

I'd tend to think that if the culprit was a burr on the fixed blades, the chances of there being a burr in the same place on both are quite slim.
I was thinking maybe it was some species of extra hard compo on some moulding you had been cutting. That would explain the identical chips. Though it does seem a bit strange as the compo goes right across the surface. Maybe it's because at that point the compo is edge on to the depth of the moulding and the blades have to go through whatever the depth of the moulding is rather than a thin coat.... :roll:

Going back to a possible burr, can you feel (or hear) anything if you lower the blades slowly with no moulding in?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The only other things the blades could come in to contact with are the rebate supports, if they have too much play then the higher they are the more it will ne emphasised (the more they could lean towards the blades). Adjust them as high as they will go, lower the blades and see what happens if you push them towards the blades, do they make contact?

What about the block the blades are bolted to - if it's an older model it could be a chip off the old block :Slap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

My money is on the evil compo. :twisted:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well that would definitely cause chipping, keep it in your pocket :?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Do the chips line up with the edges of the fences, where the blades snuggle in the the fence gap?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
beadle

Post by beadle »

Thanks everyone for your ideas, i think i'll get someone in to havea look. Any recommenations?