Ademco heated press bulbs

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Ademco heated press bulbs

Post by Not your average framer »

There has been an announcement in the news that the implementation of an E.U. law will mean that no more sixty watt bulbs will be made after today.

As some time ago I was given the impression on this forum that Ademco vacuum presses are heated by an array of light bulbs, can anyone tell me what sort of bulbs would be used in my Ademco vacuum press please?

Perhaps I should buy some before I lose the chance to do so!

Alternatively, is there a PDF manual for Ademco vacuum presses lurking somewhere on the web?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Re: Ademco heated press bulbs

Post by Steve Goodall »

Are you saying you have one with bulbs in the lid???

They are clearly visible if you do & around the size of a grapefruit...
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Steve,

I don't know, if my press has bulbs or not. Are you saying that the bulbs are not enclosed and that I sould be able to see if my press uses them without disassembling the press?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Panic over - you do not have bulbs!!!! :giggle:

The press with bulbs was a completely different design to most vacuum presses - it worked like this...

You put your work on a hard flat bed - with lots of holes in (a vacuum table) & a stretched rubber frame then came down onto this & the air was sucked away - giving you the pressure part of the job.

Then a lid was lowered over the rubber & inside this lid - like some weird sunbed - were rows & rows of bulbs - bright as the sun & just as hot (well nearly) - the heat then passed through the rubber & cooked the job.

Great machines - but I don't remember the last time I saw one - probably over 20 years ago - more like 25...
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
prospero

Post by prospero »

I remember the bulbs. :D I think they were only used on the giant presses - 8ft long or somesuch. And I think they were special bulbs that were designed to give off more heat than light. I had one in my bedroom when I was a lad. (Heat bulb - not a press). They had a habit of exploding when switched off. :shock:

Don't ask. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Thanks for telling me that. I am now very happy to know that. :D
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer