Morso F help

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Morso F help

Post by pramsay13 »

I've got newly sharpened blades to put on my Morso F and I was hoping to have a good look at how it is set up / adjusted. Is there an e-manual going about or I've seen someone mention a video?
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Re: Morso F help

Post by kev@frames »

here's a manual and parts list for morso F

http://www.thepaperframer.com/manuals/M ... tsList.pdf

forum member framingengineer (neil) was making a "how to morso" film a while back. don't know if he did it yet. try PM him.

also some on youtube.
and http://www.danlistvideos.com/ <, navigate to the English language version unless you enjoy a challenge. it shows the automated models buy you can get an idea.

morso resources on dan-list web site http://www.morso-guillotines.dk/resourc ... urces.html
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

ps. just take your time with the blades, specially if you have not done it before. Lethally sharp. one of my staff lost a finger changing blades in 1996 -
don't over-tighten them, and make sure the bottom edges match up, no gaps.

leave all the nuts finger tight till you have the front edges aligned then tighten them up, and re-check.

cut a test-piece only once you are sure the blades are not going to foul anything.

ensure that all the bolts are fully home or you can damage the Bottom "knives".

Don't lose any of the bolts, they cost £6 each.

have a bag of frozen peas handy, to put your severed thumb in, and try to change the blades while A&E are open.

Its scary the first time, but after ten years you'll be juggling morso blades with the best of us. Or, better still, delegating the job ;)
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

If you come through to Glasgow, i'll show you how to put them on/take them off/keep fingers :lol:
Would need to be a Sat/Sun/Monday :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

When removing blades, leave the middle bolt until last and then you can pivot the blades around so you can hold them by the top hole. Easier to get a grip.
When replacing, do the same. Hold the blades by the top hole and put the middle bolt in both, finger tight. Then you can pivot them around to put in the other bolts.

The supplied box spanner is OK up to point, but using a socket on a ratchet handle give you more control and reduces the risk of injury.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Thanks guys, I've changed blades a few times so no worries there.
Main reason I'm interested is I've been taking a chunk out the bottom corner of the moulding recently and feel that I should really explore it a bit so I know what's what, although I've seen that this is quite a common problem.
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

try these:
run a bit of silicone down between the fences, should last a few days, or a gob of plastecine/bluetack in there. Or masking tape the back edge. Three easy fixes that can all help if your morso is adjusted properly. On some mouldings you just have to live with it, or use an alternative moulding if its too much of a pita. Or a piece of 2mm mdf behind it and adjust the size accordingly. People have used all of those with some degree of success.
I notice in my workshop my main framer has put a piece of eco tape on the fences to to the same job.

Check the adjustment of the blades, obviously.

note if this is happening on the upward (return) travel of the blades, which it sometimes does, you can lube the blades lightly with silicone spray (morso recommend WD40!) or do the "morso dance" where you nudge the transport lever back a notch before releasing the foot pedal.
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

Check the table surface is clean and free from dirt and obstructions. This can happen if the moulding is standing away from table near the bottom blade for some reason. Moulding will kick upwards at the gauge end during cutting if this is an issue.