Cigarette / Trade Card Corners

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ash the Framer
Organisation: The Framing Factory
Interests: framing

Cigarette / Trade Card Corners

Post by Ash the Framer »

Hi All, I have had a customer come I the shop wanting me to look at his internet bought cigarette card mount and frame, he has tried to place them in the mount and has put glass front and back. The set is 50No. and inevitably they are starting to fall.

What I want to do is use photo corners from the back so the cards sit nicely and don’t fall through and you only see a small plastic triangle in the corners, however I am finding it hard to find corners that are suitable as most stick behind the photo and not on the back of the mount!!

Anyone else had this trouble and if so how did you overcome it?

Any help greatly received.

Ash
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Cigarette / Trade Card Corners

Post by Merlin »

I have searched 'high and low' for these triangle corners with the adhesive on the 'face side' instead of the reverse.
With no luck. Plus they are also self adhesive and can fail in time.

There are some options:
1. Cut two mounts - bevel apertured - so that you overlap the card by 1 - 1.5mm all round. Using 1400 micron board. Sandwiched in between is 500 micron (or less) board cut to the exact size of the card at 90 degrees on the apertures. Using this process you have to make sure that the 'web' of the inside board is firmly fixed to the outer boards.

2. Cut the mounts to exact size with 90 apertures. Using this method you do really need to use glass. If you use acrylic/plexi they could flex or bow outwards allowing for a gap that the cards can slide down.

This topic has been discussed a number of times on the Forum. So try a search for more answers.
John GCF
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

If the cards are falling between the mount and the glass I suspect the issue is one of not getting the back glass in firm enough. When we sell frames with the mounts we always provide an outer slip mount so that good pressure can put on the glass when fixing in. The problem with doing this on a diy basis is that the customer doesnt have the drivers to put the brads in close to the mount.

Whilst sitting at home typing this I am casting my eye on the 50 set of cars that have been on the wall for the last three years without any movement. The same goes for the sample on the wall in the studio/workshop.
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

Find someone with a cmc is the best option, it is then possible to do all sorts of nice designs with curved rows and the like.

Make the cigarette card appertures so that the card will sit in the aperture without falling through. By that I mean when you place the aperture face up, the card should sit perfectly within and just to the edges of the bevel.

Cut one mount face up as normal (the front).

Apply double sided pressure sensitve adhesive (with a release liner) to the back of another sheet of mountboard. Cut another mount (the back) from this, adhesive side up.

Place the cigarette cards in to the back mount, peel off the release paper and stick the front mount to the back mount.

Now you can throw the whole thing down the workshop frisbee style and none of the cigarette cards will fall out.
Ash the Framer

Post by Ash the Framer »

Thanks technoframer,

I like the idea of frisbees in the workshop lol

I may just be reading it wrong but can you still see the backs of the trade cards from the back of the frame?

Ash
bookmark
Organisation: beartown
Interests: Stoke City,

Post by bookmark »

Hi, if the mount and cards are between Glass is it not a pressure issue, could spring clips work. May limit moulding because of rebate depth, always worked for me.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

It is a pressure issue.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

If you use the larger spring clips, the pressure will be better holding the two lots of glass and mount together, the pressure will be nearer the cards rather than at the rebate of the frame, hope that makes sense.

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Ash the Framer

Post by Ash the Framer »

Hi All,

thanks for all the replies and advice.

I just took the frame apart and noticed that the internet supplier had suppled a 1.5- 2 mm think styrene to back the cards, this was the issue and i have now changed the styrene for 2mm float and the issue is resolved.

Thanks again for all the advice and if anybody does find the front adhesive photo corners please can you post where you found them.

Cheers

Ash