Oval mount cutter - recommendations?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Oval mount cutter - recommendations?

Post by CalicoFraming »

Er... as it says in the title... can anyone recommend an oval mount cutter (CMC out of the question at present)

thanks!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Oval mount cutter - recommendations?

Post by Not your average framer »

The Fletcher 1100 is probably the finest oval mount cutter in terms of accuracy and technical excellence, but if new that comes at a price. There is not a pen holder, or embossing tool option for the 1100, but it cuts awesome V-grooves and it's easy to trim the tip of a gold felt tip pen with a sharp blade and run the pen along the inside of the V-groove.

The lack of an embossing option ain't no big deal, as I think that V-grooves look much more classy! The initial setting up and calibration proceedure for the Fletcher is time consuming, but once you have got that done, it will then cut very accurate mounts and V-groove with minimum hassle.

I've got the Keencut Oval 6, which costs less and does more if you have the optional "Craftman tool set", as I do. Also if you get the optional "Maxi table" it will cut much larger ovals than the Fletcher. However because it uses a rotating table on which you cut the mount there is a maximum size of mountboard which you can rotate on the table. Like the Fletcher it also cuts superb V-grooves!

The fletcher 1100 does not rotate the mountboard during cutting and therefore can be used with larger sizes of mountboard.

I bought my Keencut Oval 6 secondhand, because that's what was available to me at the time. There is a degree of adjustment and know how to getting the best out of small, or difficult ovals where the ratio between the two axis dimension is excessive, but these things are easily learnt, mastered and have not caused me any problems.

The Fletcher does not require the same degree of know how for smaller ovals and is techniacally the better oval mountcutter. With the increasing use of CMC's there is no shortage of good secondhand Fletcher or Keencut manual oval mountcutters at affordable prices. I would not be put off from buying either of these, as both are excellent top of the market mountcutters.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks Mark, chapter and verse most welcome!
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I've got an old Keencut Rondo cluttering up my office - all works perfectly, and there is a craftsman's tool kit to go with it.

£100 collected from Derbyshire, or possibly dropped off somewhere else when I am in the area. If anyone is interested I will drag it out from under the desk and photograph it.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

A Rondo at £100 would be good value, for a reasonable alternative to an Oval 6 as the Keencut Rondo essentially consists of the same mechanism as is the Keencut Oval 6.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

Gesso&Bole wrote:I've got an old Keencut Rondo cluttering up my office .......
I wish I'd known Jim. I've just recently been down to Bury St Edmunds & paid £170 for one. :head:
:oops: It's good, but I could get very drunk on £70 :Slap: :lol:
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Depends on how often you cut oval/circle mounts, and space you have available, Jims offer is very good and if you do a lot, in your position I ould jump at it. If on the other hand you do about half a dozen a year and the smallest oval you do is 3"x4.5" then get one of these from Lion http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/LOGAN- ... ,1278.aspx can be stuck in a draw when not in use.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks everyone!