Hi All

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.

Hi All

Postby Centro » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am

Good Morning Everyone,

First of all, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to a propose New Year.

I thought I would post a few words of introduction. My name is Tony and I am located in Aldridge in the West Midlands.

After 35 years in engineering I was made redundent from a global company (my choice) and now want to do something completely different.

I have decided to setup a small framing company ( :xcomputer: :head: ) I can hear you all saying idiot !!!! I have for the past few months been reviewing the market and my objectives. I am a little bit of a perfectionist I'm sorry to say but this steams from my background.

I have been putting a lot of effort into my website and marketing ready for this to go live maybe end of January.

This forum has a wealth of experience and if you don't mind I would like to call on you all for help in the coming months and years good or bad I am always open to ideas / experience and maybe this may benefit us all.

My next task in the next few weeks will be equipment. I have decided to buy the majority of second hand where I can as I have found that the majority of equipment has also come from like minded people who look after and cherish there tools. The framing industry has changed very little apart from the introduction of CMC which is most certainly top of my purchase list. Apart from that I am open to all other suggestions.

So, I would like to again wish you a Happy and propose New Year and look forward to building a strong relationship with you all and hopefully you helping and guild me though the maze of the framing business.

Kind Regards
Tony
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Lion Pictureframing Sipplies

Re: Hi All

Postby Jamesnkr » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:38 pm

So you've spent a few months building a website and doing some marketing, without making a single frame - nor even having the equipment to do so - let alone the knowledge. I might have done it the other way round... make a few frames for yourself, for friends and family - cheap - and then start the fancy website etc.

Anyway, you need a pneumatic (optional, foot-operated will do, but most people eventually end up pneumatic) underpinner; a morso guillotine and a mount cutter. And a large room in which to make frames.

I guess from the name of your company you're planning on the cheap and cheerful end of the market; don't be suckered into buying miles of moulding that you will never use.

I suggest reading every post on this forum back to day 1.
Jamesnkr
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 am
Location: London, UK
Organisation: London UK
Interests: framing

Re: Hi All

Postby prospero » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Welcome Centro. :D

Rest assured, whatever screw-ups you make there will be someone here who has done the same
and will only be too pleased to tell you where you went wrong. :lol:

Remember, The only silly questions are the ones you don't ask. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
User avatar
prospero
 
Posts: 9955
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Hi All

Postby Not your average framer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Centro wrote:I am a little bit of a perfectionist I'm sorry to say but this steams from my background.


Don't apologise for being a perfectionist, that's good. Like you, I am an ex-engineer, so I'm the same. Once an engineer, also an engineer (at least in attitude and thinking. Nice to have you join our happy band.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
 
Posts: 7618
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: Glorious Devon
Location: Devon, U.K.
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hi All

Postby poliopete » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Welcome Centro to the FF :D

Best of luck with your new framing venture. :yes:

Peter.
poliopete
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:13 am
Location: The Wash
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Hi All

Postby red » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm

welcome

the advice on making frames first stop on. Charity shops
have lots of old frames,there will be lots in the back room
they cant sell. take them to pieces and reassemble making
smaller, you will gain lots of skills good luck.
red
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 9:30 am
Location: manchester
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Re: Hi All

Postby Keith Hewitt » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:56 am

Centro wrote: the introduction of CMC which is most certainly top of my purchase list. Tony


Am I alone in asking/wondering why a CMC is top of your purchase list :?: :shock: :o
I have visited framers in 83 countries - no two are the same.

"Cut mounts are like haircuts, they are both bad when overcut."
User avatar
Keith Hewitt
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:49 am
Location: BOLLINGTON - Macclesfield England
Organisation: Upstairs!
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi

Happy New Year and thanks for the comments.

Jamesnkr wrote:So you've spent a few months building a website and doing some marketing, without making a single frame - nor even having the equipment to do so - let alone the knowledge. I might have done it the other way round... make a few frames for yourself, for friends and family - cheap - and then start the fancy website etc.

Anyway, you need a pneumatic (optional, foot-operated will do, but most people eventually end up pneumatic) underpinner; a morso guillotine and a mount cutter. And a large room in which to make frames.

I guess from the name of your company you're planning on the cheap and cheerful end of the market; don't be suckered into buying miles of moulding that you will never use.

I suggest reading every post on this forum back to day 1.


Hi James
No, I have been DIY framing for about 5 years manly with precision mitre saws ect. but now time to take this to the next level in a more professional capacity. I have two company names..... Framing Direct Ltd and Framing Graphics Ltd they will concentrate on different ares in there own right.
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm

prospero wrote:Welcome Centro. :D

Rest assured, whatever screw-ups you make there will be someone here who has done the same
and will only be too pleased to tell you where you went wrong. :lol:

Remember, The only silly questions are the ones you don't ask. :roll:


Thanks Prospero I wouldn't expect anything less :clap:
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Not your average framer wrote:I am a little bit of a perfectionist I'm sorry to say but this steams from my background.


Thanks ..... its nice to hear of fellow engineers ..... we can talk about Nano measurement scales later :sweating:
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm

poliopete wrote:Welcome Centro to the FF :D

Best of luck with your new framing venture. :yes:

Peter.


Hi Peter .... thanks looking forward to 2018 and its challenges.
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

red wrote:welcome

the advice on making frames first stop on. Charity shops
have lots of old frames,there will be lots in the back room
they cant sell. take them to pieces and reassemble making
smaller, you will gain lots of skills good luck.


Thanks Red thats a great idea....
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Keith Hewitt wrote: the introduction of CMC which is most certainly top of my purchase list. Tony


Am I alone in asking/wondering why a CMC is top of your purchase list :?: :shock: :o[/quote]

Hi Keith

Thank you for your comment. I have worked over the last 30 years with a lot of F1 teams and some high profile manufacturing companies and in talking with them about my new venture I have identified a small market for very specialist pictures for presentations to sponsors and engineers and companies.

These mounts could only be cut on a CMC. I had thought about building one but really need to concentrate my efforts on the business.

Again I would value your comments.

Tony
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby ds128hcliverpool » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Welcome to the forum,

If you are seriously looking at a CMC, I would suggest contacting Sarah at Gunnar.

Having purchased a refurbished CMC, you cant go far wrong, and the service is absolutely great.

A bonus for you, they are based (or were) in Birmingham too!
ds128hcliverpool
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:59 pm
Location: Somerset
Organisation: Insurance
Interests: Framing and Liverpool FC

Re: Hi All

Postby Keith Hewitt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Tony.

Apologies !
Your first post told us so little about your target market. It just came across as a newbie entering the framing market.
Now you have told us about your target market ... F1 teams + high profile manufacturing companies.... you appear to have a niche market,
and rich source of potential customers.

I wish you every success and we all look forward to following your future growth.
I have visited framers in 83 countries - no two are the same.

"Cut mounts are like haircuts, they are both bad when overcut."
User avatar
Keith Hewitt
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:49 am
Location: BOLLINGTON - Macclesfield England
Organisation: Upstairs!
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am

ds128hcliverpool wrote:Welcome to the forum,

If you are seriously looking at a CMC, I would suggest contacting Sarah at Gunnar.

Having purchased a refurbished CMC, you cant go far wrong, and the service is absolutely great.

A bonus for you, they are based (or were) in Birmingham too!


Good Morning thanks for the comments.

Yes I am already in contact with Sarah and looking at all possibilities.

Thanks
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby Centro » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 am

Keith Hewitt wrote:Tony.

Apologies !
Your first post told us so little about your target market. It just came across as a newbie entering the framing market.
Now you have told us about your target market ... F1 teams + high profile manufacturing companies.... you appear to have a niche market,
and rich source of potential customers.

I wish you every success and we all look forward to following your future growth.



Hi Keith,

No apologies necessary compared with you all I am a very Newbie so all comments are greatly received.

I understand that all new business ventures are difficult and takes time and continued effort and lots of help and guidance from people who know which is where I hope to rely on the peps in this excellent informative forum.

Thanks again and please comment away good or bad.

Tony
Centro
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Location: Birmingham
Organisation: Framing Express
Interests: Golf, Shooting, Fishing

Re: Hi All

Postby Jamesnkr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Centro wrote:I have two company names..... Framing Direct Ltd and Framing Graphics Ltd they will concentrate on different ares in there own right.


You may well know this but it's perfectly possible for one company to have two trading names, you don't actually need to have two companies. Halve the amount you pay to your accountant.

So for your brand Framing Direct you would just write: Framing Direct is a trading name of Framing Graphics Limited, a company registered in England and Wales...
Jamesnkr
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 am
Location: London, UK
Organisation: London UK
Interests: framing


Return to Introductions




 
Picture Framer's Trade Directory
Picture Framer's Oracle

 
Members Map Header
Members Map
More info
Resources Header
Contact Forum Admin
Directory
How to include an image in your post
Cove Box Designer
Download Designer
General supplies
Glass
Machinery
Mounts/Mountboard
Artists
Conservators
Prints
Software
Tuition
UK Medals
Framers Forum Live!
Support Header
Crimson
White
Green
Violet
Advertise Header
Forum Banner Ads