Hello From Yetholm

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Hello From Yetholm

Post by cebrooker »

Hello,
I'm Charles from Yetholm, don't Google it, it is the Scottish Borders. I currently run a B&B (it's called Blunty's Mill and any of you would be more than welcome (I hope this doesn't break any forum advertising rules!)) and think picture framing would be a nice business to fit alongside it.

Over the years (I'm 26 so not too many years) I have accumulated a number of items - ranging from signed records to grafitti artist prints - that I have been keen to get framed but never quite had the disposable income or ability to make decisions as to which pieces to get framed so they have just festered. I finally decided that I would start framing things myself. I intend to practice on my mountain of goodies to get me to the stage of being ready to be trusted on other people's valuables! I have done some extensive research on equipment but there are a few things I am still stuck on so shall trawl the forums before I start asking stupid questions.

Having watched the videos of Logan mountcutters, I thought the 550 especially with the glass cutter looked excellent but having had a look about, they seem to be very toyish, which is disappointing so it is looking like moving up to the Keencut Ultimat Gold and spending even more pennies.

In order to avoid racking up a £3/4k bill, I am going to invest in an Axcaliber Mitre trimmer, if anyone could tell me which accessories are worthwhile that would be fantastic! With a view to getting hold of a Morso F when I am in a position where my time is more valuable than the time it takes to get the mitres right!

The thing that is really bothering me is Underpinners though, I just don't know what I should be looking for! I think something around £300-500 SH is going to be about right but any advice would be excellent!
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Re: Hello From Yetholm

Post by Tudor Rose »

Hello Charles and welcome to the Forum
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

seen as you run a cool B&B why dont you do a trade with a framer

holiday for them for them to frame your stuff for you?
cebrooker

Post by cebrooker »

Thanks Tudor Rose.

STCSTC, That's no fun! It gets quiet in the winter...
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Charles. :D

That's not a bad idea about framing visits. Can I have the last two weeks in May? :lol:

Seriously though, if you get slack times you could fill the place with framers. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cebrooker

Post by cebrooker »

Haha, I will meet you half way on that one with tuition for a bed!
prospero

Post by prospero »

cebrooker wrote:Haha, I will meet you half way on that one with tuition for a bed!

Throw in bacon sarnies and I'll bring a load of moulding. :P
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

A venue for hand finishing courses?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Back on topic. The Framers Corner M3 is a basic but functional underpinner at around that price. I've been using one for 3 years or so, and not felt the urge to upgrade. No much good on hardwoods though.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
cebrooker

Post by cebrooker »

Thanks for the advice re the M3. I have looked at it a couple of times and thought it is probably the best place to start. Please excuse my slow reply, communication was slowed due to the good people at BT. Would getting hold of a Cassese SC1 be a good move? There is a CS79 on eBay but don't want to have to worry about something that might be discontinued for cartridges.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Do worry about Cassesse cartridges becoming discontinued, it will never happen. Cassesse cartridges are almost a sort of industry standard and there are probably more Cassesse users in the UK than most other underpinners. Inmes underpinners use an identical design of cartridge and their cartridges will work in the Cassesse and visa versa. Alphamacchine also make Cassesse compatible cartridges.

Many other makes are excellent value secondhand and there will always be someone on the forum who can advise about particular makes and models from their own experience. Just ask!

I can't say that I would ever recommend any underpinner, which is not adequate for joining hardwood mouldings. We sell a good amount of hardwood mouldings, (especially oak) and generate a worthwhile level of business from doing so. Not being able to join hardwood mouldings might be a limitation with significant negative implications for your business. I think that you would find that many other framers would say the same about not being able to join hardwood mouldings.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
beedee3
Organisation: This That & The Other
Interests: art and picture framing

Post by beedee3 »

Hello I am thinking of buying an

AXCALIBER MT1 MITRE TRIMMER, did you buy one? what did you think of it?
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I haven't used one but you definatley get what you pay for in picture framing, if possible I would go for a Morso from day one. I think you'll be frustrated with the Axminster trimmer.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
beedee3

Post by beedee3 »

Ok, thanks. Someone is selling a torso on gumtree, but I think someone has beaten me to it!
prospero

Post by prospero »

beedee3 wrote:Ok, thanks. Someone is selling a torso on gumtree, but I think someone has beaten me to it!

Anyone's we know? :shock:
beedee3

Post by beedee3 »

Someone up in Edinburgh, I have no idea!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Lmao
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's not Grahame or Mary as I've been in touch with Grahame today and I'm sure he wouldn't have done his mum in!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Did it have any arms with it?

If it had legs i would have run with it but definitely needs arms. Not bothered by a head though. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Hello and welcome, Yetholm and beedee3. Love the look of where your B&B is situated, Yetholm.

I use hand tools including an Axminster Mitre Trimmer and I wouldn't like to be without it. By the standards of the equipment used by most of the framers here, my kit is very basic but I can still do a good job with it. I've had the opportunity to use a Morso and found it too heavy to operate, but then I'm a bit of a girl that way. It also scared the proverbial out of me :D There's no doubt that having a Morso and other higher-end kit would make life easier, and not having such kit means that I'm limited in the kind of work I can do, but I do the type of framing which suits my tools, and that suits me. I've read about the various things that can go wrong with a Morso that you have to know how to put right, and also how to maintain it, and even if I had the space (which I haven't), it's not what I want to do. So I would say decide what level you want to be at and get the equipment to suit the type of work you want to do. Not having a Morso will restrict you in what you can do, but that might be OK if you don't aspire to do all-singing all-dancing framing. If you do, then you might need a Morso after all.

PS. What's the going rate for torsos on gumtree these days :D