I started joining frames a month ago

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Ron Charles
Organisation: Bradley's Art and Frame
Interests: landscape painter and wood carver

I started joining frames a month ago

Post by Ron Charles »

For some reason I've never gotten straight my employers wanted a woodworker rather than a certified picture framer to take over the joinery end of things for their business. I was given one month of training in measuring, chopping, joining, underpinning and keeping up with the paper work and then last week was my first full week running the framing shop end of things unsupervised. It's been . . . interesting.

But anyway, some background. I'm living inside Texas of the United States of America. I'll be fifty nine at the end of this July and although May 15th was the first time I'd ever joined a picture frame I've been various sorts of wood worker for all of my adult life. Things are going okay for me for the most part but since last week was mostly spent concentrating -- at the request of higher-ups -- on some specialty products I am already beginning to fall behind on regular orders production. This upcoming week -- and I return to work on Tuesday after a three day weekend for Memorial Day -- is going to be a bit rushed.

So that's where things stand with me for now. I find the work interesting since every day confronts me with new challenges but I am relieved that my duties and responsibilities do not include mat work or blocking needle work to things. Just the woodworking aspect of things are enough.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: I started joining frames a month ago

Post by IFGL »

Hi Ron

Welcome to the framers forum, it sure looks like you have been thrown in at the deep end, I have been doing this twenty years and am still learning.

This forum is a great resource, any questions you might have, then ask, you may get some oposing opinions and the threads often go off a a tangent (thats what makes if fun) but you will get answers.

Where abouts in Texas? Not that I know Texas very well apart from it sounds a lot nicer than Rotherham:).
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Oops, double posted and forgot how to delete it.
Ron Charles
Organisation: Bradley's Art and Frame
Interests: landscape painter and wood carver

Post by Ron Charles »

IFGL wrote:Hi Ron

Welcome to the framers forum, it sure looks like you have been thrown in at the deep end, I have been doing this twenty years and am still learning.

This forum is a great resource, any questions you might have, then ask, you may get some oposing opinions and the threads often go off a a tangent (thats what makes if fun) but you will get answers.

Where abouts in Texas? Not that I know Texas very well apart from it sounds a lot nicer than Rotherham:).
Hello and thanks for the reply IFGL. I live in Houston, Texas. I guess it's got a population of about three million people now, though since I live in the suburbs it's not so bad. Right now it's the rainy season and last month I had to get a new starter for my car after I drove through some flood waters on my way to work. It was way early and I didn't realize how deep the water was across the street.

The big problem, though was that it was my first day on the job . . . or was supposed to be. Fortunately the store decided to close down since nobody else could get to work that day either. But still my first month on the job pretty much went for paying for the damage I received while trying to get to work. Gotta love the irony.

But yes, it's been an adventure. The biggest problem has been to switch over from a personal shop perspective in which I create my own deadlines to working for production at someone else's pacing.