Hello from the UK

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Organisation: 0161
Interests: Artist, Designer & Photograpgher

Hello from the UK

Post by 0161 »

Completely new to the game!

I'm a photographer who has always printed my pics on canvas prints.

However there is a growing demand for them as framed prints and rather than outsourcing I'd like to do it myself in much the same way I've always made my own canvas prints.

I'm wanting black frames with a white border and would like to do it all from scratch including cutting the glass.

Is there a thread that one of you kind people could point me to?

Thanks!
prospero

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by prospero »

HI and Welcome 0161. :D

Nice image . :yes:

You mention glass. If you mount your prints on stretcher bars like an oil painting, and assuming they are well sealed
with whatever clear medium, glass can be optional. On larger prints it would be preferable to not use glass IMHO.

If you are serious about doing your own framing then the first piece of advice I would give is not to penny-pinch by
buying equipment that is aimed at the 'hobby' market. It just does not give the same results as pro kit.

For a start, you need something to cut the mitres. The main machine used by framers is the perennial Morso guillotine.
Or 'chopper' as it is called by all folks who can't spell guillotine. These machines will give consistent results for years
if you look after them. Or even if you don't. They aren't cheap. I think a new one wouldn't leave you much change from
2K. But they do hold their value. I paid £605 for mine in 1984 and it still does the same job. Looks a bit scruffy, but works well.
It's worth looking around for used machines. Good example can be had in the 800 region or cheaper if you drop lucky.

To join the frames an underpinner is the thing. In case you are unfamiliar, it forces little fasteners called v-nails or 'wedges'
as they are sometimes called., into the joint from behind. they are designed to diverge in the wood slightly thus pulling
the two faces very tightly together. The term 'wedges' is slightly misleading. They are more like un-wedges. :)
These machines are made from very basic to very complicated. Basic models just under 1k to more sophisticated ones 3k and up.
It mostly depends on the amount of frames you need to make as to what type of machine would benefit you most. I've been
managing very nicely with an absolute basic model since 1983.

If you want to cut window mounts (US =mat) you'll need a mountcutter (matcutter). Good one another grand. Computerised ones
are available, but they are a fairly major financial commitment. Not a luxury if you want to do high-volume or cut odd shapes.

You can cut glass on a bench with a hand cutter and T-square. Wall - mounted cutters can be got and speed the job up a lot.
Some will also do boards and clear acrylic. These aren't cheap items either. Again, it's a case of them earning their keep.

Apart from a few hand tools, that's all you need. There are lots of things you could buy but having got the essential equipment
it's best to buy them as the need arises.

There are course on picture framing run by various peeps. But unless you are setting up a s a general jobbing framer these courses
mightbe a bit OTT. You could look for a friendly framer in your area who would give you tuition for a small consideration. 8)

I maybe shouldn't say this, but unless you are a complete brain-donor it's not too difficult to figure out the Morso chopper.
The main thing is to not slice your finger.(don't ask :oops: )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Welcome to the forum

I am pretty sure he is going to be printing on paper for the framed ones peter.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

If you're serious, then do as Prospero says, but I'd include the wall-mounted board and glass cutter in the essential list too. And my underpinner would be pneumatic. Second hand your four pieces of kit will cost you between £2k and 4k depending on the quality you're prepared to put up with.

If you're not serious, then don't bother trying with cheaper equipment. It will drive you mad and take you ages - and not give a decent finish! Amateur equipment is possibly OK for making the odd frame.

But, if all your prints are the same size you may find it much, much, easier to buy in frames. (And mass producing black frames is a boring way to spend your life...)

https://www.4x90.com/product_detail.php ... AME-57404/

£10 each for 16x20 frames in ash. You could paint them black if you wanted to which would give you a nicer finish than a black plastic moulding. Then all you need is one of these https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/9105/Fletch ... int-Driver plus some nice nickel fittings.
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

welcome

I'm in a similiar position to you, had a lifetime working with wood,now
considering framing,ive been reading lots, this site is a great source of info
my next decision is getting a days tuition,its just choosing one, never been
a fan of reinventing the wheel!