Hello Hello

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Hello Hello

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

I’m a newbie here on the forum and to framing.

I have spent the last month reading through previous threads and its great to see such a wealth of experience and advice given here.

As it says ‘tell us about yourself’, well it’s been a winding road up this point. I have been a semi-professional photographer since 2005, first starting out in theatre and headshot photographer but my work has spanned all area of commercial, advertising and art photography.
Semi-professional element was because until recently I was a commercial director for a tech company in London (how I got there is an altogether different thread).

Along with support from my wife I/we have decided for me to drop down a gear, actually quite a few, and follow something that I really want and love doing.
I have MS (diagnosed 2010) and have now had to admit to myself that I couldn’t do a job that required excessive travel and stress – hang on, who would?

When I was younger, friends of our family owned and ran a framing business from their garage (it was a large one), they enjoyed their work and managed a great work life balance.
Framing has been on my mind for years and was a dream to combine the photograph and this. So I’m very lucky to be in a position to follow through with this and my wife is happy to be the breadwinner.

I have already attended a basic framing and mounting workshop, which fuelled my excitement further. I would also like to find a ‘1 on 1’ tutor in the near future to refine what I am doing further.

We have a large spare room that will be my workshop, a local community who are showing interest in my work and a framing resource.
Now to get on with it!

I will keep checking the sales boards but I am on the look out for the following, if any of you can give me a nudge if anything comes up. Oh I should add, I do have mobility issues so need to keep this in mind when setting up and choosing the right gear.

Moros guillotine - in good shape
Underpinner – not sure which type but a foot operated, as I haven’t got room for a compressor, any advice very welcome.
Keencut Ultimat Futura 1200 - I have budgeted to buy this new but if any are going 2nd hand in good condition, I would be keen.

I look forward to getting involved and chatting to you all,

Cheers
Rafe :D
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Hello Hello

Post by poliopete »

Very warm welcome Rafe and a very interesting introduction.
Sorry I cannot help with what you require but I wish you every success with your new venture, you have certainly made a good start.
Good luck
Peter
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Welcome aboard, +Rafe+.

Good luck with your new venture.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Rafe. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Welcome to the FF :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Popple North
Organisation: PM Framing
Interests: Photography, Cycling.

Post by Popple North »

Welcome Rafe,

Like you, I'm a newbie to all this but I've already had some great help from people on the forum. I'm no help with equipment at the moment as I am also acquiring kit to get properly set up but I wish you every success.

Paul
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thank you for the warm welcome gang and thanks to Jamesnkr I now have a big green choppin' machine!

Still on the hunt for a pneumatic underpinner but using my time, while I do, to research popular mouldings.

Thanks
Rafe
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Good afternoon Rafe

Pleased to hear you are fixed up with a Morso from Jamesnkr. When it comes to advice and getting practical help on certain matters IMHO he is a great resource.
Also, I am pleased to read that you are looking for a pneumatic underpinner and not a manual. You will not regret that decision. I too physically struggled with my old Pistorius and eventually obtained a cs89 (much more suitable piece of kit) I tracked it down through this FF in Aberdeen of all places. Seven hours up there and seven hours back and a stay overnight but well worth it. It came with a compressor and like you, I am short of space, but the compressor partly fits under the cs89 meaning the overall "foot print" is not that much more.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Good luck.

Peter
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

+Rafe+ wrote:Underpinner – not sure which type but a foot operated
+Rafe+ wrote:Still on the hunt for a pneumatic underpinner.
Did it take one squeeze of the foot pedal to convert you, or two? ;)
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hahah! Defo the first! Yep, no brainier (for me at least) a pneumatic underpinner all the way.

Still on the hunt for one if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Rafe