Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Art & Framing
Organisation: Art & Framing
Interests: Work rest and play.

Post by Art & Framing »

Hi All,

By way of introduction my name is Graham from Portsmouth where I run Art & Framing. My Wessex / Frinton rep told me about the forum so here I am.....I've only been in the business 4 years and its the first time I've heard about the forum but hey, better late than never lol.

I took over my local (dare I say ailing) picture framers in June 2014. It has been a lot of hard work getting there but by June 2016 we expanded to larger premises a stone's throw away. We are planning to grow again in June 2018, so it feels like another 2 yearly cycle at the moment. This next 2-year cycle is one of great excitement for me personally and a big ask if I'm honest but as we are currently pitching to Richard Branson through Virgin Media's VOOM 2018, what more can I say. If you are not familiar with VOOM then it is a bit like Dragons Den and another good reason to write on the forum to hopefully gain some traction and feedback from other framers up and down the country who might like to offer some support as I do feel we are flying the flag for the art and framing industry in one of the most exciting competitions in the UK and Ireland.

So in the words of one of my favourite bands...."is there anybody out there?"
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: New Member

Post by JohnMcafee »

Welcome aboard, Graham.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Welcome to the FF Graham :D

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with VOOM 2018. Please keep us updated.

Peter.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Welcome to the FF :D

Why not post a link to your VOOM pitch page?

Good luck :D

BTW, good to have another fan of Somalia-born rapper K'naan on the forum :giggle:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome to the Forum Graham from Portsmouth. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Art & Framing wrote:Hi All,

.....I've only been in the business 4 years and its the first time I've heard about the forum but hey, better late than never lol.
I find it surprising and a bit sad that it took 4 years. :(
If every distributor mentioned Framers Forums in their catalogues or Newsletters etc. many more might know about them.

Good for the framers, brownie point s for the distribs and then hopefully more forumers posting :clap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Welcome aboard Graham

Keith Hewitt wrote
"If every distributor mentioned Framers Forums in their catalogues or Newsletters etc. many more might know about them.
Good for the framers, brownie point s for the distribs and then hopefully more forumers posting :clap:"

I would think most supplier/distributors think most of us are 'moaning minnies' :giggle: :Slap: :oops: :lol:

But I do agree with Keith, that would be a good idea
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi & welcome :)

Love the Floyd reference btw :wink:
Art & Framing

Post by Art & Framing »

Hello Again,

Thanks for all your replies it is much appreciated. For anyone interested in my Virgin VOOM pitch here's the link:

https://voom.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/ ... all-street (think that's how it works??) My pitch is called Wall Street on account of the partition walls derived from my Hot Walls pop-up shop. You can vote for me through Facebook or Linked In if you wish but please let me know on the forum if you do. Constructive feedback only on my promo vid please lol. I'm still on the floor laughing at it myself!!

How this all came about was through my desire to pitch-up on the high street at our local market and increase exposure of my Art & Framing outlet. When I met the market organiser it was one of those drizzled windy days and other traders stock and marquees was being blew away. This led to me to build my first pop-up as a weatherproof pop-up shop where I could also hang art and frames on the walls. Now we are vying to create our own Wall Street market of creative enterprises and travel from high street to high street.

Through the forum I am also hoping to network with framers up and down the country. Do let me know what you think? This last year has seen trade our slump a little so it would be nice to hear what's happening in the industry elsewhere.

Thanks for your time and all the best Graham
Art & Framing

Post by Art & Framing »

Thanks for all your views everyone. I guess I'll leave you to your thang!! :xcomputer:

Good Luck in the future. Graham