Hello from Kent

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Hello from Kent

Post by girlfromkent »

Hi everyone,

I am a print maker and potter, recently attended a framing course to learn how to frame my lino prints, loved it so am now looking to get set up with kit and maybe do this part time alongside my day job.

Any beginner advice appreciated.

My initial decision is around a mat cutter (this q probably belongs somewhere else) but I have an offer of an old Logan 650 framers edge fairly cheap. Any opinions?

Thanks!
Megan
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Hello from Kent

Post by poliopete »

Hello Megan and welcome to the FF :D

It's good to read you have attended a framing course. In my opinion that's the best way to start.

As regards the mat/mount cutter I do not have any experience using a Logan 650 but I am sure someone will be along who has.

Good luck with your new venture.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The Logan 650 is a hobby level mount cutter as opposed to a professional level mount cutter. It also is designed in such a way as to ensure than the only blades that will fit the machine are Logans own design of blades, which are rather expensive to buy compared with the normal blades which fit the majority of other makes of mount cutter.

This a generalisation, but It usually is right that you get what you pay for and mount cutters made to appeal to the lower priced end of the market normally have some noticable savings built in to their design to enable them to be sold at the lower price. Eventually these cost saving become all to evident after extended usage and the resulting wear often reduces both usability and accuracy.

Older Professional quality machines are designed and manufactured for high volume usage and considerable more longevity of usage. Also the availability of spares for professional quality machines is usually obtainable long term to enable these machine to be restored to maintain a professional level of performance well in to the future.

I'm not telling you not to get this machine, but you do need to understand what you are getting and how well this will fit in to your long term requirements. It may be that you are willing to settle for this machine as a short term item to fill the gap and get something better at a later date, so I'm not trying to deter you. but it is what iit is and you need to know that.

If you decide to get this machine, check for any looseness, or movement in the bearings and moving parts that indicate excessive wear. Excessive wear can mean a lack of quality and precision when cutting mounts. I hope that this helps.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks Mark that's really helpful
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Have a look for a Keencut Ultimat Gold or a Fletcher 2000. Both older models. I use a Flatcher, but Keencut is British so parts are easier and quicker to source. Friends who use the new Keencut model, say they prefer this older model.
Good luck.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Sorry I meant the Fletcher 2100, like the one that Ade704 has for sale at the moment.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The Fletcher is really nicely engineered and in that respect it probably has the edge over the Keencut. Keencut mount cutters are made in the UK, so spares are very easy to obtain. Keencut mount cutters use nylon sliding bearings and the bearings need adjusting from time to time to allow for any wear in the bearings, but the fletcher uses caged ball bearing which never need adjusting and are easily replaced at the end of the bearing life.

Both of these are very commonly used fully professional quality mount cutter and in this country they are the most popular two mount cutter manufacturers. There are quite a lot of both brands available secondhand at reasonable prices. Lots of new businesses buy new, so there are plenty of used ones on the secondhand market. Obviously check the availabiliy of spares, if you are buying an older model.

If you need to buy you equipment on a limited budget, try to spend your money where it will do you the most benefit.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome to the Forum Megan. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About