Hello

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Chezqui
Organisation: Chezqui-Lines
Interests: Painting - printing - framing - exhibiting

Hello

Post by Chezqui »

HI

I made a few frames but now need to polish my act to get some of my artwork into exhibitions.

I have just bought a Pistorius manual underpinner. Before I bought it I naturally did a search and found some great praise for the machine. Now I have committed, I did a search on here and found comments like "I couldn't get rid of it fast enough'.

let's hear it :D

I'll make it work somehow.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hello

Post by Not your average framer »

There's no doubting the fact that the manual Pistorius is not a modern design and does require a bit of understanding to get the best results out of it' The height of the top clamp pad had to be adjusted to suit the height of the picture frame moulding being joined, so that the top clamp pad would apply equal pressure across the top of the moulding, but this was in common with most of the manually operated underpinners of that time. However the manual Pistorius was extremely popular with many contract framers of that time, largely because it was built like a tank and was just about as an unbreakable underpinner as you could possibly obtain. They weigh a lot more than just about any other manually operated underpinner ever built. It's not by accident that they were refered to as unbreakable and there's still a few around if you are putting together a workshop on a restricted budget.

However a lot has changed since the days of the Pistorius, the Euro, the Taurus, the PLM and the Thorpe International underpinners of the 1970's, which all had the hand adjusted top clamp pad setting on their manual machines. Obviously today's manual machines with no need to adjust the top clamp pad setting are streets ahead and make perfect sense if you have the available budget and need to operate at maximum efficiency and a reasonably good level of production. Another thing that many of today's framers may not realise is that the early machines were originally made mostly to insert only 7mm and 10mm wedges. The much greater choice of wedge sizes for the modern day machines is a later development. It is therefore logical that those buying equipment these days would get the greatest benefit from a modern machine.

However a lot of Pistorius and Euro manual machines have survived the ravages of time rather well and for hobby level use, or on a lower available budget may still have plenty of usable years left in them. It is of course not surprising that some many people look for something like a Cassesse, as you don't need to have a lot of expertise to use one, after all the top clamp pad setting only requires to be set to a height that is near enough and the machine takes care of the rest. Second hand Cassesse machines, if not too old are also relatively easy to sell at a good price too, Whereas an average condition manual Pistorius can be picked up for £50 to £100. Obviously, there are not any spare parts for these older machines, but the one's that have servived this long are likely to keep going, if they have lasted this long.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hello, and welcome to the FF :D

The comment "I couldn't get rid if it fast enough" came from me.

Changing the block for different size wedges and getting the machine calibrated to drive the wedges home correctly I found a PITA. Perhaps it was because I have been spoilt in the past with a pneumatic Cassese. That's the machine I always used and have since gone back to.

Saying that, my best and longest (45 yrs) picture framing friend has two of these beasts side by side and uses them daily, he now has a third as a back up :giggle: However, he does have the advantage of a brother who is an engineer to keep them in good order.

IMHO some of the prices asked for these old machines on line are over the top, but as you have bought one I sincerely hope you get on with it ok'

Peter.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome to the Forum. :D

Some machines you have to develop an 'understanding' with. I have just retired by venerable Euro manual.
Brought 1983 and while it always had funny habits it served me well. We got used to each other. :wink:

It's like the engineers on the old steam ships. They knew how to keep the engines running and which pipe to hit with a hammer. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

BTW, I failed to welcome you to the forum, so please accept my belated welcome,

I've got a bug and I am currently not firing on all cylinders. Don't feel that you have to have the very latest equipment. If it's functional, meets your requirements and you are happy with it, it's o.k. Skill and ability is about the individual, not the equipment. I hope you will enjoy your involvement in the forum and any help and support as you go along.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Chezqui
Organisation: Chezqui-Lines
Interests: Painting - printing - framing - exhibiting

Post by Chezqui »

Gents
Thanks for the responses and warm welcome. I did an aircraft technician apprenticeship many years ago so I will be able to 'adjust' and 'modify' as we get to know each other.
I paid £250 which seemed like a good price, the machine itself looks in little-used condition. I wonder why :lol:

I won't be running a framing business but the difference between the raw materials and the local framing prices, I will only need to frame 8 pictures before I have made my investment back.

Get ready for my possibly dumb questions :D
Screenshot 2019-12-26 at 15.10.00.png
Not your average framer

Looking at the picture it looks like it's in pretty good condition. I hope it works out well for you.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer