Hiya!

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Jacky Dahlhaus
Organisation: Folla Framer
Interests: Restoration of old oil picture frames

Hiya!

Post by Jacky Dahlhaus »

Hiya,

I thought I'd let you know a bit about myself. I'm a trained veterinarian and high school science teacher. Since a near-death experience, I gave up on employed work in 2009. I have since tried many hobbies and have found that writing gives me much pleasure. I have never looked back on my choice and am still a writer of paranormal fiction.
In the meantime, my husband and I are renovating an old Victorian schoolhouse. It's the building where the teachers used to live, not the school itself. It's a slow but fulfilling process that have kept us busy the past five years and will do so for a few more years. As the house looks out over a sheep paddock to Bennachie (iconic hill in Aberdeenshire, Scotland), we recently bought an oil painting depicting a lovely Scottish scene of sheep in the Highlands. Once I held it in my hands, I fell in love with old oil paintings. The canvas and frame is very dark with grime and dust and in desperate need of a clean. I am not going to try and do this myself on this painting, I but became fascinated with the whole process of making something beautiful again after years of neglect. We have bought several frames and canvasses to practice this on. I acquired the book, 'The Restoration of Paintings,' by Knut Nicolaus. I'm still looking for a good book that will tell me how to restore old frames, so any suggestions are welcome! I can't wait to see the result of my new hobby :D
Jacky D.

"Communication is the key" :D
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Hiya!

Post by poliopete »

Hello Jacky and welcome to the FF :D

Best of luck with you new hobby and this is the place to come to find out more.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hello Jacky and welcome to the forum,

There are lots of friendly people here and many of us willing to share our know how, ideas and help. Anything you need to know, or want help with, just ask. Newbies develop very quickly with guidance from other members here. Enjoy!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jacky Dahlhaus
Organisation: Folla Framer
Interests: Restoration of old oil picture frames

Post by Jacky Dahlhaus »

Thanks, Mark and Peter, the forum has already been a great help. So glad I joined! 😃
Jacky D.

"Communication is the key" :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome to the Forum Jacky. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About