Hi

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
emzmc@hotmail.co.uk
Organisation: emilymcnamaraphotography
Interests: Photography, art, crafts, woodwork, art framing, dungeons and dragons model/ scenery making

Hi

Post by emzmc@hotmail.co.uk »

Hi my name is Emily,

I am fairly new to framing. I have studied art and design for a total of six years. In that time my framing experience has been more alternative framing eg using bulldog clips, pre made frame and thin nails. This site will really help building my knowledge of making frames.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hi

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Emiy,

This forum is not just about framing, but framing is also about professional presentation, which is a large part of why customers bring their work to a framer. You are getting into the framing and the presentation skills side of things at a time when starting a non essential type business, is going to be something which is going to be a little harder going than it otherwise might be. If you can try to definite your needs and requirement fairly early on, so you can get the best value for your money in buying the equipment that you are able to identify as needs to accomplish to pursue your aims. This forum can be very helpful in helping you to understand the answers to any questions, which you may have.

Not everyone who answers your questions, will necessarily have the same way of looking at things, but not all of us have exactly the same experiences, or ways of doing things. So it is well worth taking good notice of where different forum members might be coming from. A bit further down the road and you may have changed the way you are doing things to a similar method to one you may have decided against earlier on. Expect to learn a lot and not necessarily be doing everything exactly the way you were originally thinking. There's a lot to learn and it's a steep learning curve, but there's a lot of very knowledgeble members on this forum, who are here to help you along the way.

So welome to our happy little band and feel free to ask any questions that you will need to.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Hi Emily,
There's tons of information in that search box at the top of the page. Weeks of reading! We're all here to share and learn. Good luck.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Welcome Emily,

Whilst you can learn a lot on this forum, I would strongly suggest you invest in some proper training. :idea:
Note I say "invest" dont see it as a cost
It will speed up your progress, save you making costly mistakes, and in a couple of years time you look back and will realise it was a good move.
And get a copy of LIONS catalogue (Free) https://www.lionpic.co.uk/
Also subscribe to Art & Framing Today ( £ 38 per year) info@fineart.co.uk www.fineart.co.uk

I wish you every success
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Training is so important and it's not just learnt the right way to do things, but much of thr equipment used for framing, is genuinely extremely dangerous. Training does not only provide you with a basis for good skill levels and the best ways of doing things, it also addresses the heath and safety issues as well.

Training is not expensive, it is a really important way to start right and continue right and to buy the necessary equipment and to not be properly trained to use it properly makes no sense. Many say that it is makes good sense to get the training first and then you will know what you are doing when it comes the getting the equipment.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer