Hi!

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
bang
Organisation: Barry Allan Scott Fine Art
Interests: Drawing, painting, sculpture, hiking, camping, kayaking.

Hi!

Post by bang »

Hi, everyone!

A wee bit of backstory to how I ended up here. ;)

When I was a young art student I used to frame up some of my life drawings with a silverline mitre saw, hand cut the mitres with a wobbly stanley knife and fix them up with a few bits and bobs; I'd take them to a wine shop in Edinburgh where they'd display them. I managed to make some of my beer money out of that and it kept me going.

After art school I got a wee job that only lasted a couple of weeks. I was taken on by a gallery to frame prints and things, but they didn't have time to train me because they were massively busy. I was a bit of a disaster. At home I could take time to get things right, and I never worked in a high volume environment like that before. At least I got to see how things are done, however! They let me go after my trial period and took up a joiner for the job instead.

Fast forward 20-odd years and I've managed to get a studio to make my artwork in. I take commissions and run art workshops, but due to covid I've been left looking for other income streams that could help to keep me afloat- if only to make the studio pay for itself... otherwise I work as a carer and also look in on a couple of relatives who need a bit of help now and then.

So I bit the bullet, and from some inheritance money I got from my grandad when he passed away, I bought a second hand morso, Fletcher mount cutter and alfamachine u200 underpinner. I'm saving up money from commissions to buy other stuff I need now.

My wee granny has given me permission to clear out her garage and use it as a framing workshop. It's my hope that I can save some money by framing my own artwork (next to my studio rent it's my biggest outlay where my art work is concerned), and hopefully I'll pick up some work along the way from other tenants in the complex where I've got my studio to help keep me afloat. Probably fairly low volume work, but it would be nice if it flourished into a good wee business to compliment what I do.

I joined this forum to get advice on equipment, mouldings and also technique. Wee bit of banter doesn't hurt either. :)

Thanks, everyone! See you on the boards, and take care!

Barry
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hi!

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Barry and wecome to the forum,

This is a difficult time for ao many of us. So I would say, don't forget that the equipment you have already got, gives you the potential to do more that just make frames. It also enables you to make other things out of wood as well and also maybe you might decide to make up a few bits and pieces using bits of moulding from your waste bin as well.

Best wishes for your business and the future,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
bang

Post by bang »

Thank you, Mark.

I will keep that in mind.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Barry. Make yourself at home. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
bang

Post by bang »

Thanks! :) I'll put the kettle on! :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

:D
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Oldgrumpyface
Organisation: Frameology St Monans
Interests: Golf, Photography & cooking, then eating what I cook! (Ok I see the problem now!)

Post by Oldgrumpyface »

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum and good luck setting up your new workshop.
You’re not too far away from Fife 👍

Allan
bang

Post by bang »

Hi Allan,

Thanks! Yes, not too far away at all! :)