Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Mickeyluv
Organisation: Hobbyist
Interests: Music, electronics, woodwork

C+H blade orientation

Post by Mickeyluv »

I've recently acquired a C+H Advantage mount cutter from a retired framer. It came with the blade inserted bevel-out (that's the way he used it) and I'm unsure if this is correct. The manual doesn't mention the orientation and the pictures are inconclusive. I would have thought that the bevel would need to be inward-facing so that the cut is parallel to the cutter block angle. Otherwise the cut angle would be modified on account of the blade bevel. Or doesn't it matter?

On another note, Lion sells replacement blades that are made in the UK. Has anyone experience of these and are they as good as the branded C+H blades?
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: C+H blade orientation

Post by David McCormack »

On Keencut machines the bevel faces out on a chisel blade (single edge) and the blades are clearly marked to confirm this. Should be the same on your machine? If you can get knife edge (double edge) blades for you machine then you can use both sides which means twice the mileage per blade! If you cut standard (around 1.5mm) thickness boards you will be ok with a knife edge blade. I don't use the chisel blades but I know some folk use them for thicker boards.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Mickeyluv

Post by Mickeyluv »

Thanks for the advice. After reading your reply I took a look at a Keencut manual and it does give a better explanation of blade types. The C+H aren't marked in the same way. I'll reserve the chisel blades and order some knife-edge blades for regular use. I saw that Lion has them and maybe others if I look around.
Mickeyluv

Post by Mickeyluv »

Seems I'm not restricted to C+H blades as the size (45mmx19.5mm) is more widely used than I initially though. I bought some Fletcher knife-edge blades and they fit perfectly. A much better edge than the C+H as well.