2 things...canvas backing and which underpinner?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Just Love Art
Organisation: JL Art
Interests: Framing & art loving.

2 things...canvas backing and which underpinner?

Post by Just Love Art »

How do,

I have a chance to buy an Alpha machine 1M foot operated underpinner for around £260.

I only have a small portable Logan which has done well.

I’m wondering if this new machine is worth it or if I should get something pneumatic instead, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated?

Secondly I’m trying to find some black backing material for canvas frames. I’ve used felt before but it’s too thick can anyone offer any suggestion of what to use and where to find it?

Many thanks in advance.
Leo
odocat
Organisation: Tobi Frames
Interests: Picture framing

Re: 2 things...canvas backing and which underpinner?

Post by odocat »

If you can go for a phnmatic machine. We are all getting older and foot operated machines are not good for knees and hips in the long run.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Can you explain the backing for canvas frames. I'm not sure what you mean?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

Not really an advert or a want as such so moving this topic to General Discussion. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Just Love Art
Organisation: JL Art
Interests: Framing & art loving.

Post by Just Love Art »

GeoSpectrum wrote: Fri 29 Nov, 2019 8:53 am Can you explain the backing for canvas frames. I'm not sure what you mean?
Hi yes, I recently changed a framed canvas for a customer and the back of the whole thing was covered in a black material (not felt, it was thinner) it wasn’t see through either and hid all the z clamps, tape and inner joins and was stuck on by double sided tape and a neat hole cut for the middle canvas. I’ve searched and cannot find the same material. I’m guessing it could be something else repurposed for this but wanted to ask in case it isn’t.
Leo
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I can highly recommend a Cassese CS88 and you can pick one up for the same price if you're lucky. It will be far superior to the M1 imho.
Never seen or heard of a black frame covering, other than paper.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I have had something to reframe which had a similar covering. Looked almost like roofing membrane material.

Certainly not purchased from a framing supplier. My canvases are always left with no backing. I would suggest to your customer it does not require a backing. If they are insistent, a trip to travis Perkins or some similar place will be needed, but they tend to be rather big rolls.

Good luck

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Had the painting come from the US by any chance? It's a convention there to cover the backs of canvas frames with a
sort of material that may very well be a building industry membrane. I suppose it neatens up the back a bit but it really
is unnecessary IMHO. All I do is paper the back of the frame with brown gumstrip, but I never lap it over the canvas. :|

*** Edit. Goole "Tyvek" :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Black garden fleece? Probably would look the part and does not cost too much and you don't have to buy it in a large quantity.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Woven-Gard ... 33&sr=8-33

Years ago, the back of a canvas sometimes used to be covered with brown paper. I don't think anyone bothers about it these days. There was not any particular requirement to do it, probably to keep out dust and spiders. Not really anything of great consequence.

Covering the backs of frames like this tends to be something which is more popular in the USA. I far as I understand, the usual approach is to stick it to the back of the frame, rather than the canvas. It's does not appear to be something reserved for canvases, but more generally something that they do, where as in the UK we use backing boards and seal the backing board to the back of the frame.

If you are really into presentation, something black covering the whole of the back of a finished frames, with some nice stranded stainless steel wire, or stranded brass wire, takes a lot of beating when it comes to looking good and help to justify the prices that they charge. It's not a bad idea when you think about it. The idea of doing something similar has crossed my mind at times. Done properly it looks really classy!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I guess it would look neat, but not serve a purpose as it will not be seen once hung. I, like prospero tape the frame, but avoid canvas.

Also, 3 artists i frame original oils on canvas write a description in pencil on the back of the canvas, so want it to be seen.

I use offset fittings for canvases and measure where they are fixed so all are directly opposite so i think that leaves a neat finish.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.