Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Square cut window for fillets

Post by ChrisG »

I currently mark up the back of the mount board and use the wall mounted board cutter to make the cuts by eye. I find it easier to see the start/stop lines with the wall cutter than with the non-bevel blade on the mount cutter.

What do others do?
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Square cut window for fillets

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Can't you just do a reverse bevel?
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I cut a reverse bevel, looks better and allows for a bit of adjustment.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

ChrisG wrote:use the wall mounted board cutter to make the cuts by eye.
That does not sound like an easy way to do it. Doesn't your mountcutter have stops for start and finish of cut?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Even if it does it's not so easy for the 90 degree blade and nor is the use of the margin guide/squaring arm. Maybe Chris thinks a 90 degree cut is best for mount fillets, I don't think it is because just the slightest bit of play will reveal the core of the board, reverse bevel is the way to go .... unless you like the look of a normal bevel, some do.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I cut a bevel with the sheet faced down on the CMC. On my machine it seems to be better than doing a reverse bevel but that may just be the way it is set up.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

On our machine the reverse bevel is as good as the normal bevel and in fact if we are cutting volume mounts in black, we always cut with the board upside down to avoid curling. Only happens on black though.

For fillets we use straight cut and have no problems, although I can see an advantage in reverse bevel as Robo says, to get a tighter fillet up to the board.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree cutting with a reverse would be better for cutting black. The only reason why mine doesn't cut well on the reverse bevels is that over the years i have adjusted the settings only for the cuts i use and not for the reverse bevel as i never use it. :giggle:
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

we just do it reverse bevel cut from the front as well. seems the simplest and tidiest finish as robo says above.
I haven't actually bothered calibrating anything to cut from the back on this one.
they are usually one-offs and not overly in demand here.

on white boards they look pretty good with an ordinary bevel, a matter of taste I suppose. Customers never botherd when we used to do them that way round. personally I'd prefer the look of not seeing the bevel if I was a customer and given the choice seeing one next to the other.

People seem to be asking for them a bit more than they used to, so I suppose its worth keeping in practice with them. One of my lads has got very good at doing them (obviously the youngest one with the best eyes, as me and tom actually read (see) the morso scale a mm different each way :-/ ) Might be time for one of Keith's gadgets if we get enough in regularly...