Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bracken643
Organisation: Bracken framing
Interests: Rugby,golf, framing, reading

Dust etc

Post by Bracken643 »

Morning all have just trolled through the posts to see if there is an answer to the dust problem I am having. I seem to spend ages on the assembling faze of the frame due to dust, hair, fluff, old socks, garden shed, family pet or foam or in fact everything you can think of getting between the glass and the mount board. I was wondering if there is a system to help cut this dust problem whether it’s a air pressure blast or hover or something else all reasonable suggestions welcome.
prospero

Re: Dust etc

Post by prospero »

I never use and air blasts/hoovering when assembling. To my mind it just causes more dust to fly about.

I always assemble on a cutting mat. Easy to keep clean. Clean the glass. I always clean it on a separate bench covered with carpet. Nice short-pile kitchen carpet. Place the backboard/mounted work on the table. A soft brush is handy for flicking off any flumbs. (Never use it for any other job) Pick up the glass and place on the mount. At this stage you can see any flumbs that have escaped your notice. Some are very crafty and only become visible under glass. :P
If all is well, don't lift the glass again. Doing this is a surefire way of sucking in any nearby flumbs. Get some tape - P-90 or whatever. I use masking tape. Tape the back/glass together round the edge to form a solid sandwich. Once you have done this then no way can any flumbs get in. It also prevents little corn flies creeping in later.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote: flumbs.
Flumb -

"Foreign object found under glass after sealing frame back.

Researchers have concluded that in their native state, flumbs are transparent. Through a process not well understood, these invisible pieces of debris become visible only after the frame has been completely assembled i.e. the art package (most frequently with mount board and glazing material) has been secured into the frame, the frame sealed with backing tape or a dust cover, and the hanging hardware applied. Without such processes, flumbs resist metamorphosis and remain unseen.

Under these ideal conditions flumbs transform into one of two visible states: white debris become visible when in contact with dark surfaces; while dark debris become visible when in contact with light surfaces. Some scientists postulate that this process may be a reverse phototropic phenomenon while other suggest that flumbs appear because of some transient, dimensional shifting, “worm hole” event.

Investigators continue to study these occurrences."
prospero

Post by prospero »

IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

You could get your self one of these.
Attachments
2013-08-05 14.29.41.jpg
2013-08-05 14.29.41.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 7275 times
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

Flumbs seem to appear and move contrary to the laws of physics. They can be pretty horrendous.

The revolution for me was tack rags. I clean the glass and just before I assemble the whole sandwich I wipe the glass with a tack rag and put them together. I rarely have a problem now. 8)

The tack rags can mark pirate glass and UV though so be careful.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have a not so clean workshop, but tend not to have much of a problem. I clean glass using cleaner and a microfibre cloth then blast the frame and glass with short bursts of air then put in mount and back, a quick check, then staple and tape. I very rarely have a problem..............................

But when I do I spend the next 20 fecking minutes taking backs off cleaning reassembling taping then having to take it all apart again :head: :head: :head: .

Sometimes I feel that some picture just don't want to go in a frame and should be left alone. :giggle: :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Interesting point here. :idea:

How many framers assemble by putting the glass in the frame followed by mounted art/back? As opposed to laying the back/mounted art face up on a bench and laying the glass on top followed by the frame (taped sandwich or not).

I did it the first way when I first kicked off. Purely because it seemed logical and I had seen other framers do it that way. Then a rep who used to come round told me the other way. Done it face-up ever since.

As far as flumbless framing goes it's a no-brainer. :Slap:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree with you prospero, infact if I am doing a large run production job that is exactly what I do. But not for smaller jobs :lol: :lol:
Bracken643
Organisation: Bracken framing
Interests: Rugby,golf, framing, reading

Post by Bracken643 »

Ty for advice just done it with art face up and he presto it workes great
Junglewalker
Organisation: Wallingford
Interests: Music

Post by Junglewalker »

Without getting too "Shades of" I agree with Prospero....face up is best
DCS
Organisation: Durham City Studios
Interests: Photography and Framing

Post by DCS »

I bought a fine anti-static brush from Lion £30 which works a treat by sweeping the glass just before assembly.
Broke my heart though when I saw the same but bigger brush on fleabay delivered from China for £6.00
For my sins I own and operate
http://www.durhamcitystudios.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

I get a lot of stuff off the aforementioned fleabay. Most of it is good stuff it has to be said and you can get genuine bargains. :D I got a paper towel dispenser for the newly renovated executive bog. Excellent quality. 15 quid delivered. And what's more - and this'll stun you rigid - it said "Made in the UK" on it. Also got and Irish flip-top bin. Tiled the floor for a tenner. :P

5 litres of acetone - £20 inc post
225 sanding pads - £22 delivered (rrp £3ish - each)
region 2 satellite dish with all the fittings/cable £28. new
10 little wire brushes Dremel for the use in - £2something inc post

There's some good stuff in LDL's too if you get there on the right day. Had a shot blasting kit one week. Although it was labelled a spot-blasting kit. Could be nasty in the wrong hands.

Anyway, enough of that. Back to topic. :giggle:
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

I work in a workshop where we have 2 sometimes 3 assemblers and they use air.
Although for us this works I often when I need to assemble I use, what I call, the baby technique outlined above and air.

I lay the artwork on its back, de-dust with air drop the cleaned glass on top. I then have my magic wand.
The magic wand consists of 2-3 layers of of black mount board about 12" long, about 1" at its widest and smaller at the other end.

I then wrap masking tape around each end. Hence the wand looking aspect.

I then use this to remove any spec's that may remain between glass and mount.
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |
prospero

Post by prospero »

Must admit I tend to cringe when I hear of compressed air being used to blow dust off artwork. Let the dust settle and use a soft clean brush. An air blast will just blow one lot of flumbs off and suck in another lot. Same with mini vac devices. Keep the air still and you won't get flumbs in the first place.

Not to mention possible damage to the art. :?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have just clean out a deep box frome with lots of mount board debris from the lining so all I could do was blow them out. I did notice (with my new specs on :giggle: ) that they seemed to fly out of the frame and reach an altitude of 18" with a decent trajectory thus landing on the bench and not back in the frame.

Seems to work for me. :D :D
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

Prosp, tell me about it!

My mounting area is just off from where the assembly line is. I'm constantly cleaning up dust from them. Drymounting is a nightmare due to dust levels.

I'm all for antistatic brushes etc

Our poor ol' Henry here is on his last legs.
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |
prospero

Post by prospero »

last wheels don'tcha mean? :giggle: