Silicone

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
wireman

Silicone

Post by wireman »

Hi All

Just wondering where you can get hold of a tube of clear silicone my normal supplier does bnot sell it. I have been told this is good for sticking down papyrus.

Cheers

Ken
markw

Post by markw »

have you tried "no more nails"? if its a particularly valuable piece it will really hold it in place. Four pieces of masking tape on the corners can also add that finishing touch to give you a really professional finish
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

PVA Adhesive works "wonders", apply a liberal dose all over the back of the picture then it can never be removed! Permanent!

also, Guillotines are excellent for straightening up those frayed ends, and making the hand made paper look straight and perfect.

for good measure, stick mount to back with Elastoplast...

it's the way all GCF's have been trained !
sedgley pictures

Post by sedgley pictures »

Is someone taking the p.... ? Surely Tile Adhesive would hold a papyrus down, after it has been washed in a washing machine, tumble dried and ironed first.

Is it April 1st again?
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Spraymount!

Fully Irreversible Adhesive, should be "Ideal" for the job..
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Hi Ken

If you search through the Grumble you will find some sound advice about mounting Papyrus
http://www.thegrumble.com/search.php?searchid=109882

Silicone and some of the suggestions by the other posters may not be the best methods.....for mounting a Papyrus...

Enjoy your ramble around the Grumble there is some very sound advise available there.....

Another place to have a look is the archives of the Picture Framing Magazine http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/a ... index.html

Good luck
Paul Hardy

Post by Paul Hardy »

kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

Surely wallpaper paste would be the first port of call.

1. It's cheap
2. Sticks down wallpaper pretty flat. Must do the same with a bit of old papyrus
3. You can finally get round to doing the spare room with the extra 15 litres you made up, hence pleasing the wife no end.

Win vs win situation if you ask me. :wink:
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Am I missing something here?

I've been leapt on for leaping on others - now everyone's at it - bar Dermot.

Anyway - tourist papyrus' = CARP - who cares how you stick them down - chances are the customer has seen them framed against the glass and wants the same. Fixing method in that case is pretty irrelevant.

But if you want to do a nice job - spaced from the glass - use 'S' hinges or even micro dots of archival paste. Sometimes also the customer does not like the 'tatty' edges and wants it all neat and squared off, just like everything else in their neat and square lives - in that case, hinge it like anything else.

Bound to be a shedload of info on Dermot's links though.
wireman

Post by wireman »

Thanks everyone

I would normally use dawing pins on all four corners but could not find any.
So i suppose staples will have to do now.

Do you think they might scratch the glass..

Tried no-nails didn't find it gave it that special effect but thanks for that.

Elastoplast good idea never thought of that one i can always say who recommended it to me hope you don't mind.

Wallpaper paste bloody hell wish i had asked this question a week ago just finished decorating. At least i can now tell the customers only bring in there stuff when i am about to re-decorate should save time and money

thanks for all the info.

food for thought there at least nobody take the p..s out of people on here.
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

You just happened to put your head above the parapet and it got shot at.

Personally I would not have a papyrus on my wall, but those who bring them back from wherever think they're fantastic.

About a month ago I framed a 6ft by 2ft piece. Customer was over the moon; what I thought didn't matter, as with a lot of things that come through the door.

Smile, be affable and be professional.

Never trim; the edge is all part of the final effect,and allow a space between glass and papyrus, otherwise it will look like a prune.
Measure twice - cut once