Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
JaneyT
Organisation: TBC
Interests: Writing, design, vintage furniture, surfing, education

Best type of material for mounting and cutting bench

Post by JaneyT »

I have bought a large Danish teak desk with built-in AO chest plan and my husband is kindly making me a marginally larger section to go on top of it which I will need to cover with something - part glass-cutting/part-mounting/part assembly.

What is the best type of material to buy to cover it? And does anyone know the best place to buy this material? Is it carpet? Is it a blanket? Or is it something else?

Would really appreciate advice/your opinions on this.
Many thanks
Jane
Graysalchemy

Re: Best type of material for mounting and cutting bench

Post by Graysalchemy »

I would use carpet for glass but I use sheets of 3500micron mount board to cut on or buy a cutting mat. :D
JaneyT

Post by JaneyT »

Ok thanks that sounds great.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

I use grey dry mount board, always have done (18years) , never had any issues, it's good for cutting on, cheap enough to replace, which tends to be the same board over and over as I always cut in the same place, good for glass too as the dust/splinters rarely get caught in the surface, just brushes clean.
Can't comment on carpet, but it seems to work for lots of people, maybe best to try a couple of methods to find which you prefer. :D
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Sorry I have just re read what I have written I should have said

"but I use sheets of 3500micron mount board to cut Mount Board on or buy a cutting mat."

:oops: :oops:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have always used kitchen carpet. But avoid jazzy patterns and strong colours as they makes your eyes go funny under bright lights. :shock:
Carpet is great for working face-down on frames. Any hard surface - inc cutting mats and cardboard can scuff frames.

This really should be in General Discussion - I'll move it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

we cut glass on a wall mounted fletcher, then put it down on a bench covered with Router matting which is friendly, and the holes in it catch any bits. The mats are regularly pulled off, shook and replaced.

we cut mounts on a self healing cutting mat.

we assemble on a bench covered with display board, taped down with brown tape, but again use router mats over the top to prevent any damage to the face of the frames.

But, I have lots of room :P

If I used only one bench then I'd use router mat, and cover it with a cutting mat when required.

this is an example of router mat, but I got the last ones from B&Q when they had a sale on

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... tAodIkkAsg
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Not a good idea to use a surface for combined glass cutting/frame assembly - glass crumbs could cause problems.
JaneyT

Post by JaneyT »

Thank you everyone for your advice.

My table is very long - 3m - so I am positioning my mountcutter down one end, and propose cutting glass at the other end. Frame assembly will be in the middle. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of space or money to invest in any further tables right now. I am just starting out...
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I cover a my benches with Solid Kraft backing board (the type that is brown kraft lined on both sides).
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

carpet here, also a cutting mat set into one carpeted bench for hacking and slashing at things.
if you can manage to keep the the room you want, keeping separate an area for glass-cutting only, that sounds ideal. glass crumbs will get all over the place and into the carpet and cause all sorts of misery.
Failing that sheets of artbak or greyboard and brush it clean between glass cutting and other work, or work in batches.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Fortunately I rarely need to cut glass on the workbench, as I have a System 4000 wall mounted cutter, when I do need to cut glass on the bench I have a piece of left over carpet which can be laid on the bench top.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i dont cut glass on a bench, use a wall cutter

but my 2 benches
1 - 8mm toughened safety glass - great for cutting trimming etc on and my underpinner is against it, which means any glue etc on it wipes great very very easily

my other bench has a piece of 5mm foamcore on it with rubber drawer liner from ikea stuck to it

fantastic for cleaning glass and assembling, and cheap as chips, and easy to clean debris off
Not your average framer

I like the idea of the 8mm toughened glass!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer