What do you use to clean glass ?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
prospero

Re: What do you use to clean glass ?

Post by prospero »

Trinty's post was interesting. I've heard of framers using compressed air to blow the flumbs away. How many folks do this? I only ask because I would never dream of doing such a thing. :? Apart from never being sure just what is going to come out of the air-gun, disturbing the air in the room like that will like as not stir up all the other flumbs in the vicinity where they will hover about awaiting to strike. You may blow the flumbs on the picture/glass away but you are displacing a large amount of air which another flumb-laden lot will rush in to replace.
I don't even make any sudden movements when I'm assembling. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We wear Tellytubby suits and as we brush past each other they become highly statically charged - just lift the glass up and WHOOSH! all the flumbs rush out and stick to you.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I blast with air never have a problem.................. Depends how clean your workshop is :giggle: :giggle:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i use microfibre with nilglass

and then blue towel stuff for buffing

I have
http://www.fraser-antistatic.co.uk/our- ... sed-airgun

for blowing, but use it on glass NOT on art or prints
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

I agree with Prospero there, I never use any compressed air in the workshop (apart from the underpinner, but the compressor is in the other room). I do have a separate room where I can do sanding, use air tools etc.
Having air flowing in the workshop always seems to increase the appearance of flumbs, and I do operate to the same extent as Prospero, not even making sudden movements when it comes to assembly. Dust is also why I use glass cleaner as well, as it picks up the dust rather than moving it else where. I often use tack rags on glass as well to dust them just before assembly.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I don't make sudden movements ever. Might be construed as a willingness to work by customers. Overheard a discussion between two framers recently about speeding things up to cut costs. One reply was " I don't even bother cleaning the glass now", the other said " Pointless using glue when you've got an underpinner".
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have an air filtration unit above my work bench. It will keep my assembling area clear of dust. Having said that because of the size of my workshop i don't have much problem with flumps or dust even though i am using a twin bladed saw. Most of the trouble I get is from bits of moulding breaking off the inside of the frame and falling on the glass. :evil:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I prefer the muck on the floor rather than floating about. :P

ps. I never get any flumbs. Not a single one. 8)
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Famous last words.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

The only time I get flumbs is when i am meticulous and turn the piece over before I tape it up, then there are loads and I end up taking it out about 10 times :head: .

However If I just clean staple and tape without looking at it it is fine :D :D

So in my book it is bad luck to look at the front until it is taped up. :giggle: :giggle:
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I find that I get glass cut more accurately if I guess the measurements as well.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I got a cat that is a trained flumb-hunter. :lol:

No spiders or moths either. :clap: