Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

What do you do if...

Post by pramsay13 »

You get in a mounted photograph or print to frame and it is stuck to the window mount with masking tape.
Customer wants to keep the mount.
Graysalchemy

Re: What do you do if...

Post by Graysalchemy »

The damage (if any) has been done prior to your involvement. I would cut it free, you are not going to touch the artwork then reattach with appropriate hinges to a backboard hinged to the existing mount. That way you are mounting it correctly using the existing mount but not doing any damage to the artwork.

Personally I wouldn't try removing the tape. I have just done the very same to one which needed remounting and was held in with sellotape.

Thats what I would do.
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

I just had a very similar thing in. A beatiful pencil drawing with a full strip of masking tape across the top, sticking it to the mount. I was able to get this off fine, but then found that it was stuck to the mount with double sided tape as well. :Slap:
I just handed it back, nothing I was willing to do to save that.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Draw a thick line between Framing and Restoration. If it has tape on, leave it on. Don't let the customer's problem become yours. By all means point out the shortcomings of the existing mounting, but it's risky trying to 'improve' things off your own bat.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Customers often bring mounted artworks to me to be framed and it's not uncommon to find that the artist has permanently stuck the artwork to the mount.

I am still happy to frame it like this if that is what the customer wants, but the finished job won't have my label on it and there will be a note inside the frame stating that the artwork was supplied already stuck to the mount.

Unless the customer wants the artwork to be removed from the mount, I don't see any problem.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I often think it would be good sometimes to slip little notes into such frames to the effect of "It weren't me wot done it! It was like that when I got it. Honest". For the benefit and amusement of future framers.

On acid free post-it notes of course. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

I did it on 2 jobs today, removed loads of masking tape,which didn't do any damage as it was all falling off anyway, replaced with ph7-70, then wrote a note on the back of the mounts.......they were only re glazing jobs and I didn't need to do it but masking tape is evil lol
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Well firstly, I would warn the customer in advance that there could be some damage due to what had been done to it before. Then ask them if they wish for you to proceed - almost let them choose what they would like you to do themselves. That way, if any damage does occur (though obviously you would take care) the customer would be expecting it.