Choosing location for new business

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Paul C.
Organisation: Gosford
Interests: Collecting original artwork, painting & Drawing.

Choosing location for new business

Post by Paul C. »

Hi all - first time poster but have been reading this great forum for a while.

I have been collecting original art for 10 years and have framed almost all the art I own (50 + pieces) since I had trouble finding reliable framers with deep knowledge of conservation methods (I lived in the US, now back in the UK). I intend to undertake the 5 - 10 day accredited course with a view to taking the GGF exams later this year, and subsequently start a framing business, as I believe there to be a sufficient potential market in the area I have moved to.

I am torn between leasing a high street store straight off with a combination of custom framing and related product sales, or focus on home based custom framing only for the first 6 months.

What are your thoughts? I have the working capital for both options, but am practical enough to realize that building up a loyal client base by word of mount takes time. I am an experienced qualified accountant by trade, so I am familiar with the perils of starting a new business, but am really keen to leave the corporate world behind.....

Would really welcome your practical thoughts.

Best regards
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Choosing location for new business

Post by IFGL »

we have a very busy high street shop, very visible it got so busy I had to remove the workshop and relocate it, the orders that were going out filled the shop and people couldn't get in!

the new work shop had 2 rear rooms both about 400 square feet, and a large shop area which we have made into a small shop area and filled the rest with a cmc a couple of large format printers and other stuff this is a very cheap shop for us because its not on the high street, it was a old co op on a back street, I did not expect it to ever take any money, but 14 months later it's doing quite well.

as to which is better, I don't know, there's one way to find out, FIGHT!!!!
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Welcome aboard, Paul C.

Liking your notion of a framer "building up a loyal client base by word of mount"

Classic :)

If I thought I could get enough trade, I'd set up in our garage tomorrow, however our home location, three junctions away from the nearest side road, does not lend itself.

If it is at all practical, I'd say test the waters with a bome based business.

You are welcome to call in at Scenes for a bit of a chat any time you are in Belfast.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

JohnMcafee wrote:I'd say test the waters with a bome based business.
I bad a bome hased husiness for three years hefore I hit the hullet! :-)

It was based totally on home visits and delivery so the actual location of the workshop didn't enter in to it and it was a really good, but really slow, method of market research. At the same time I had a 'proper' job and after three years something had to go because I ended up with two proper jobs, a shop came up locally (very locally), a needlecraft/wool/ haberdashery shop ... long story short to what it evolved to? See my website. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bottom line is we could have just gone for it in the first place but in hindsight I'm not sure if that would have been a good idea. I'm sure we would have survived but I'm also pretty sure that our 20 years experience would be the first year repeated 20 times over, or the first two ten times maybe. Also we would not have had that three years to wait until something (premises) turned up on our doorstep and now, were it not for that 3 years, could be dealing with a 'commute'. As it is we can leave the house at 0855 to be turning the shop door key at 0900 - if it comes to it.

Welcome to The Forum!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Paul. :D

A high-street frontage is great for some people. But you pay for it.

If you are mainly going to be doing bespoke framing you really only need a workshop with a relatively small reception area. But whatever you go for there is one big thing to consider: CAR PARKING. Frames can be awkward things to carry and a pain to carry any distance. If people know they can just pull up to the door any time they will keep coming back.
From that point of view you will do more business tucked down a back street than on a main street covered with yellow lines.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Do you have any clients lined up yet? If you had a few projects that you could complete, and could trust word to spread by mouth, then maybe you wouldn't need a highstreet store. But I do think it is always going to be easier if there is passing trade, as they might have a look in the window. Also it would be easier for you to sell things other than the custom made projects.
Royall

Post by Royall »

If you do decide to run your business from home please remember that you'll have a lot more advertising to do than if you had a shop on the High St. as you'll not have any passing trade. In very simple terms you'll need to keep on "reminding" people that you're open for business. You can always do straightforward advertising (which will cost you quite a bit each year) or you could try to develop other less costly marketing strategies.
Working from home will always be cheaper than being on the High St. - no rent to pay etc. and of course you can always assign some of your home's running cost to your business as a business expense.
Mike Royall GCF
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

I started off in a shed at home, which was out in the middle of nowhere but it did ok. I found there was a problem with me not really pushing the business as I had little to no overheads, it always seemed like I was making money but it was a struggle to move up to rented premises. But I made it and moved to an old milking parlour, still in the middle of nowhere. That was a bit of a mistake. Greatly increased overheads but no real increase in trade. After seeing out my contract I moved to a site just off the high street with parking, and rent a quarter of the smaller shops just a couple of doors away. An 'A' frame sign on the high street and people came in. Proper job.
I would say look for a good premises just off the high street if you can, an actual high street shop can be a massive outlay and not the ideal place.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

You may find a high street shop that is willing to rent you part of it. For me a basement and a design desk in the main shop area. It can get you onto the high street but with less overheads than leasing a whole shop yourself.

The landlord benefits too: I bring in framing customers who then go on to look around and often purchase items from the landlord and of course he gets rent from an underused part of his establishment.