outer packaging for an A4 frame

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

outer packaging for an A4 frame

Post by daveym »

Hi everyone, it's ben a while since I 've been on these forums and always found it very helpful.

I have a number of designs I'm putting into A4 frames. These frames are intended for a novelty gift idea and I require outer cellophane packaging that would be adequate for a deep frame...I assume an A4 cellophane bag would not fit an A4 frame and probably tear due to the thickness. What would be the appropriate size so as there is not to much cellophane remaining that I need to seal.

Secondly is there any cardbaord box suited for a similar deep frame that has some kind of inner linging ie foam, possibly a postal type box but preferbaly plain with no logos on the outside.

Alternatively, are there any other way to present an A4 deep box frame as a gift but are purely for packaging purposes not overly expensive?

thanks for any help.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: outer packaging for an A4 frame

Post by Not your average framer »

Try to research all the issues involved when ordering packaging. Bulk packs of packaging not only often take up a lot of valuable space after they have arrived, but also because of the space required for courriers vehicles to deliver this sort of thing, the delivery charges can be a bit steep as well.

If you have a good local company near you, there may be the opertunity to save a useful amount by not paying carriage costs. My local packaging supplier has a minimum order value of £30, but delivery is free of charge and this usually saves me a worthwhile amount of money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Vix

Re: outer packaging for an A4 frame

Post by Vix »

Hi DavyM

The type of packaging you are after for your presentation style box would have to be a die cut box, which unfortunately would not come cheap and you would need to order in bulk if you wanted to get the cost down to anything I suspect you may be wanting to pay.

Packaging is often an afterthought in most cases and people seem not to place as much emphasis on getting the right product mainly due to cost. But what you need to ask yourself is two questions:

1) Do you want to display the item in it's best possible way giving it more perseved value by showing that as much care and attention has gone into the presentation as the actual item you are selling.

and

2) Do you want reliable packaging that will safely convey your item to it's destination without it getting damaged.

I'm biased here because I have a vested interest but in my opinion people often make the mistake of sending beautiful frames and artwork out in 'shoddy' packaging only to have to replace it in many instances, due to the fact that they didn't seem to care enough how the finished item was packaged by trying to cut costs on the use of inappropriate packaging once they had finished the job.

Vix.