attatching cloth to a cut mount

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
dougie

attatching cloth to a cut mount

Post by dougie »

anyone got any good ways of glueing a piece of cloth to a cut mount?tried various ways but its very hit or miss,any help would be good
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Re: attatching cloth to a cut mount

Post by simoonez »

Not wholly sure what you mean, but if you mean wrapping a mount or slip perhaps this might help

http://www.franksfabrics.com/howto02.asp
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

Which came from this recent thread - http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12164
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Some types of cloth are more problematic than others. To wrap a bevel cut mount, needs a fabric with a bit of give. I've done a few with bookbinding cloth onto mountboard which has been coated with PVA and allowed to dry and then dry mounted in the usual way.

Acrylic medium would be much better than PVA for fabrics where the adhesive might penetrate through to the front of the fabric. It usually dries much quicker too, but PVA is much cheaper, where adhesive penetration is not an issue.

Using bookcloth is cheating, because the cloth is manufactured with the weave pre-filled with a starch filler, which stops any signs of the adhesive used from penetrating the cloth and becoming visible at the front face. I only used bookcloth, because I already have some.

I cut the mount after sticking the bookcloth to the mountboard, because I don't think there is any possiblity of wrapping a pre-cut mount with book cloth, since it is a fabric with almost no give at all. However bookcloth is o.k. for wrapping deep bevel strips to use like the Nielsen bevelled accents.

It would be great if someone, who really knows their stuff, would offer a training course for this in the U.K.

BTW, I do some interesting painted mounts as the inside layers of double and triple mounts, where the front mount is just a normal mount. I find this more interesting to do, as I don't know enough about which fabrics would be good for producing wrapped mounts, but also there is plenty of scope for layering and distressing effects with painted finishes.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've done silks and light fabrics using drymount film, but you need a heat press. Basically, smooth the fabric on but before placing it in the press replace the mount dropout on top of the fabric. This pushes the fabric against the bevel and moulds it neatly into the corners. Let it cool and then make relief cuts into the corners and trim back the centre part so you have maybe 1/2" to wrap underneath. Drymount film is tacky so you can wrap it under and put back in the press.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Re Franks Fabrics, in 2007 I attended a fabric wrapping class in the USA (Saratoga Springs, where the potato chip, or crisps as we know them, was invented) with Baer Charlton who is/was a rep/agent for Franks Fabrics .... and a great framer.

I remember zip about it and never put it in to practice ...... but I do have a (signed) copy of his fabric wrapping 101 DVD ..... which I have never watched all the way through either .... and could be persuaded to loan it out, if I can find it.
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

A few images and examples of silk covered mounts here:

http://richard-framemaker.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=silk

Dougie, what method are you using now? type of fabric, adhesive, etc.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

You really sold that DVD there Robo, you have me dyina to watch it now, but maybe not all the through :)