PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Nicole
Organisation: We Frame It
Interests: Professional picture framer. Triathlete
www.weframeit.biz

Using Polcore mouldings / tricky?

Post by Nicole »

As a newbie and supporter of recycling I thought that Polcore was the way to go. However on using it I've not found it is not so easy. I find joining the mitres tricky with the underpinner, a spot of super glue in the wrong place and it doesn't wipe off the moulding surfaces and the plain finishes scratch and mark very easily. Would love to know anyone else's experiences and if there are any hints to make it easier otherwise I might remove them from my selection altogether.
To be creative we must lose our fear of being wrong.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Using Polcore mouldings / tricky?

Post by IFGL »

is plastic not made from oil?

there is a lot of pefc mouldings about
BaBaZa
Organisation: http://www.mainlinemouldings.com
Interests: Pubs

Post by BaBaZa »

When joining Polcore the wedges need to be positioned away from the back edge.

Superglue will not come off anything so you should only use a very small amount on one surface.

I can't see where you have purchased Polcore from us so I assume it was from one our distributors. If you would like to message me I can arrange a visit from our sales agent to help or I can phone and can talk you through it.

Ricky
Mainline Mouldings (Polcore)
Ricky @ Mainline Mouldings Ltd

Twitter #MainlinePolcore
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I've been using Polcore mouldings for a while, and I almost gave up at first! I've learnt a few tips through trial and error that might be of use.

In my experience, superglue-type adhesives are a waste of time - they're too thin so you get very little surface-to-surface contact, and the working time is so short it's usually gone off by the time you get the joint in the pinner.

After asking for advice on here, Titebond Polyurethane glue was suggested, and whilst not perfect, it does work quite well and has the advantage of being wipeable-offable with a damp cloth.

I've also found it best to use much smaller wedges than you would if it was a timber moulding, and of course, follow the advice of not putting wedges further than halfway towards the outside edge.

I find smaller frames give me more agro than larger ones, and I more often than not use band clamps. These from Screwfix are so cheap, it's good to have a few for this purpose. I glued a bit of brushed nylon loop fabric into the corners just to protect the moulding but at 5 quid a pop, they do the job splendidly.

I'd much rather spend all day gluing/pinning a good quality timber moulding, but I'm now getting consistently good results with Polcore. Hope this helps!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/adjustable-band-clamp/16857

prospero

Post by prospero »

Why not just use PVA?

Poly moulding does vary. When it's made, an agent is added to the mix which gives off gas. This forms tiny cavities to create a sort of 'crunchie bar' effect which makes the plastic sligthly porus. So actually PVA will stick up to a point depending on the pore structure. To really stick it you would need polystyrene cement which has a strong solvent and virtually welds the joint together. But with this stuff any stray bits will strip the finish.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

Why not just use PVA?

Poly moulding does vary. When it's made, an agent is added to the mix which gives off gas. This forms tiny cavities to create a sort of 'crunchie bar' effect which makes the plastic sligthly porus. So actually PVA will stick up to a point depending on the pore structure. To really stick it you would need polystyrene cement which has a strong solvent and virtually welds the joint together. But with this stuff any stray bits will strip the finish.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I've experimented with ordinary PVA, but even after a couple of days, the glue can remain wet. That Titebond stuff is quite weird - it behaves more like an epoxy. It seems to expand to fill joints (which is why clamping gets better results) and you have to be careful not to overglue the joints as it has a tendency to bubble out whilst curing. Having said that, any excess scrapes off quite easily with a fingernail.
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

I find PU MAX POLYURETHANE WOOD ADHESIVE, from Lion Mouldings excellent for polymer mouldings.Using a very small amount,as it expands, and keeping away from the edges.Clamp the frame up over night, then the next day underpin.Perfect...
pete...
233ART

Post by 233ART »

By the way.Acetone, avaliable from the chemist, is the solvent for PU MAX...
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Lighter fluid is pretty good too.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I stick polcore with Bison plastic glue. You still have to be careful not to use too much glue, because you can't get remove it from the surface of the moulding, but the glue produces a very strong mitre.

It is a solvent based glue and can slightly soften the core of the moulding, so the glue needs to set fully over night, which will also allow any softening of the moulding to become fully hardened again.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Nicole
Organisation: We Frame It
Interests: Professional picture framer. Triathlete
www.weframeit.biz

Post by Nicole »

Thanks everyone for your comments I will take them all on board and keep practicing. I might well take up Ricky's offer too from Mainline Mouldings for a sales visit. Thanks Ricky.
To be creative we must lose our fear of being wrong.
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

is it worth all the effort of clamping overnight etc. do yo actually save anything?
DCS
Organisation: Durham City Studios
Interests: Photography and Framing

Post by DCS »

We use tons of Polcore moulding on all sorts of jobs from 5x7 pictures of kids to football shirts and manage to join it using the mainline super glue and prefer to use a 10mm wedge where on wood a 12mm wedge would be better. As has been said keeping the wedges well away from the outer edges is a must to avoid spreading but we now rarely have this problem.
On occasions you will find that the depths aren't always identical so if possible make your frame from the same length.
For my sins I own and operate
http://www.durhamcitystudios.com
ComeOnYouReds!
Organisation: Our house
Interests: Trying to get it right first time.

Post by ComeOnYouReds! »

I use a lot of the Polcore moulding and I too have problems joining them..... at times.
I can't glue them as I have to make up hundreds at a time, so from a price aspect it is not viable. I can only underpin them and hope !!!!
The main problem I get is that the bottom surface of the moulding is not always flat especially on the narrow ones I use and the pieces "roll" on the underpinner thus leaving an open gap on the visible top face of the frame.This of course is after having cut them on my Morso where I imagine they will "roll" a bit whilst cutting. Not an acceptable result no matter how cheap the frame is priced up at.
Unfortunately this varies between batches of the same moulding so a good tight frame today can be a loose looking load of rubbish in a few weeks time.
I imagine this is a manufacturing problem but how it comes about is beyond my remit.
233ART

Post by 233ART »

Surely this is because of the lack of adhesive...

"Unfortunately this varies between batches of the same moulding so a good tight frame today can be a loose looking load of rubbish in a few weeks time."