Morso Second Stop

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Fee

Morso Second Stop

Post by Fee »

Hi Folks,

I have several frames to make which are the same size/moulding and thought it would save some time if I purchased a Second Stop for my Morso. However I have just checked the price and £85.95 plus VAT seems a bit expensive. Does anyone out there use one and feel it justifies this cost and/or has anyone any other ideas as to what I could adapt instead.

Many thanks.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Morso Second Stop

Post by IFGL »

my machine cane with one, worth every pebny if you do runs of frames often.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I don't think £85 is much that will save you a lot of time. Consider how much you make an hour and then see how much it costs compared to how much time it will save you.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I just spent £110 on bath bombs for the wife, now there is a waste of money for ya :lol:

to be fair she will be a happy wife, so not a waste at all.

You could add £1 to the next 85 frames, count them down, then they cost you nowt.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Subtract the length of the long side from the short. Cut a scrap bit of moulding that length with mitres parallel. Set the stop to the long side length and when you want to cut a short side just slip the scrap piece in front of the stop end.

OK, you have to hold it tight to the measuring scale as you slide the moulding up to it, but to save 85 quids it's not too much of an embuggerance. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Fee

Post by Fee »

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to all for taking time to reply and for the suggestion Prospero :clap: - will give that a go first.
Beau
Organisation: Belvoir Gallery
Interests: picture framing, astronomy

Post by Beau »

I have been trying to fathom how they work. Presumably one bit must come away to let the long lengths of moulding get past it.
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Post by guzzijim »

Why not use 2 G cramps or similar as stops ? Set up your shorts first, then place a cramp cutting side of the sliding bit so it can't travel to make pieces shorter. For longs do same thing except the cramp is placed so it can't make thing longer.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I'm not sure how this could save that much time. It looks as though you have to flip it up when you are cutting the longer lengths but surely the length of time setting up the second stop could be spent moving the first stop?
Whenever I am making several the same size I just cut all the long lengths and then all the short lengths, e.g. 8 long then 8 short.
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I'm not sure how this could save that much time. It looks as though you have to flip it up when you are cutting the longer lengths but surely the length of time setting up the second stop could be spent moving the first stop?
Whenever I am making several the same size I just cut all the long lengths and then all the short lengths, e.g. 8 long then 8 short.
I have to agree. I have one of these and found that it just gets in the way so have taken it off and use the above method. I can only think that it would be useful if there is some else on the underpinner waiting for the pieces you are chopping.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

The advantage of using a second stop especially if you are doing long runs is that you may get 5 longs a 2 shorts out of a length so to be ecconomical you either use a second stop or you cut all the longs and then stack up all the off cuts to reload again with the shorts. This takes extra time.

I have a second stop on the Cassese 939 but that is powered by air , controlled by the flick of a switch.

I still think £85 is a steal, the one for the cassese I think is over £300 and I wouldn't do without it.
Fee

Post by Fee »

Hi Folks

I havent seen it working so sorry I was unable to provide an answer to some of your questions. I presumed one part just flips out of the way. Thanks to those who were able to assist.
yorkframing
Organisation: York Framing Studio
Interests: Photography & Astronomy

Post by yorkframing »

I have never used mine so you can have it for £50 inc p&p if interested
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

If Fee doesn't want it - I'll take it off your hands Yorkframing! :) but Obvs they have first dibs!:)
yorkframing
Organisation: York Framing Studio
Interests: Photography & Astronomy

Post by yorkframing »

Hi Jayvee,
Just sent you a meesage, I have found 2 of these so you can buy a set also if you want.
Best regards
Steve
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

Evening Steve,

Not got a message from you sorry!! If it's easier to email me instead happy days!!:) john@framedbyjohn.co.uk

Cheers,
John