Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
MS Picture Framing
Organisation: MS Photography
Interests: Photography, joinery, rallying, football

Double glass/sided frames

Post by MS Picture Framing »

I'm still a relative newbie to the forum, but glad to say that my first year of framing has came and gone rather well. Today I've been asked to do something I've not done before....I've been asked to frame an old £1 note, which normally wouldn't be an issue, but the customer is wanting both sides visible in the frame. Again, framing-wise, that's not an issue, but what/how is the best way to go about fixing the £1 note in the frame between the two pieces of glass?

Any help/info would be greatfully appreciated.

Martin
Roboframer

Re: Double glass/sided frames

Post by Roboframer »

By not doing that!

Melinex encapsulation will enable you to use a window mount both sides and float mount the note.
prospero

Post by prospero »

:P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Folly framing
Organisation: Folly framing
Interests: Framing, fabrics and philosophy

Post by Folly framing »

Hi. I have been asked to frame some foreign currency notes with them visable on both sides.

I can see how to do them as per the photo from prospero in this thread with a mount with seperate windows for each note but ideally they would like just one appature with 6 notes floated in the middle with no visable fixings. Would this be possible? Would appreciate any hints or advice as to sell him on a mount like the one above.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Sounds unlikely to me.
You could try sandwiching the notes between two sheets of perspex see if they are held in place.
I reckon you would still need some kind of glue or fixing.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could try encapsulating all the notes in one Mylar sleeve and the static may keep them in place.

On the whole doing them in separate sleeves/apertures would be a whole lot less pain. :lol:

If the notes have a value as far as collectability goes then the tiniest amount of glue anywhere on them
will reduce the value considerably. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Somebody - I think on here - recently suggested the merest smudge of starch paste applied with the bumpy side of velcro would just help the static if - I think - between two layers of acrylic. If they're paper notes, not plastic, then the paper will be sized with something very similar to starch paste and it won't really make a difference. It will, of course, be stuck to the acrylic, but a bit of steam would remove it.

Better not if they're worth much.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

My wife puts her papercut art between 2 sheets of glass and sandwiches it with scotch or book hinging tape. No problems... so far! The work just sits there and doesn't seem to want to move.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer