Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Is it just me..

Post by grahamdown »

...or do you end up throwing out half sticks of moulding because when you order the next batch they don't match?

I recently had a moulding where the new batch being just over 1mm shallower!
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Is it just me..

Post by StevenG »

Glad you mentioned this - I thought I was just being more unlucky than normal. I don't throw them out though - even though I should but when I look at the stack of odds 'n' ends all I see is £££££'s :(
prospero

Post by prospero »

Another reason I started doing hand-finished mouldings. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It can happen, in finish/colour as well as profile - not to mention totally different wood types! But some references are pretty consistent and a few very; fewer still, totally (so far). I regularly make orders that rely on my stock matching what comes to complete a job - I'd say my success rate is pretty good and that includes the same thing from different suppilers!

I rarely throw out half sticks though, they get turned in to ready-mades and maybe fresh corner samples too.

We sell wool - if anyone buys more than one ball of the same colour we check the label to make sure not only the batch number is the same but also the dye lot.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Our experience with this is exactly what Roboframer stated, the only thing I can add is that is not a recent problem, as far as I can remember it's always been the case, at least 17 years anyhow.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I've had it with new stock, where I ordered 4 packs to make 7 frames, only to find the supplier has sent 2 different batches, the finish on 2 packs were matt, the other two were semi gloss :head: :head: :head: . Rang the supplier and asked why they had sent two different batches :thinking: :thinking: , in the end they resent the order FOC all the same batch, this is not the first time it's happened, seems to happen with most suppliers, looks like the warehouse staff need to be trained in picking the same batches for orders
Problem I have at the moment is I can't seem to purchase a length of moulding without any twists in it :head:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'll tell thee summat else..... Small mouldings are often machined with a left and right side and then split down the middle. Quicker and easier to make. But it depends just how accurate the cutting tool is as to whether the rh and lh bits are exactly the same. Common sense dictates that with the best will in the world there is going to be some discrepancies. And mitring will magnify them. So if your moulding is marked LH and RH, best not to mix them.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

I can't help but be constantly impressed with the quality of mouldings. I certainly get differences - there's always a margin of error - but considering the manufacturers are working with a material so incredibly variable as wood I'm amazed that mouldings I use from different batches are usually interchangeable. Not always, but considering other factors like dye batches, machinery wear, different operatives, I'm well impressed. Like Robo said, if I need a larger amount matched then the suppliers have done a great job until now at least.