Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Iron slab

Post by simoonez »

I had a chap come in the other day asking if I had an iron slab. He said most other framers he'd been to had iron slabs because they're perfectly flat. I don't have one, and I didn't know it was or is a thing for framers to have them.
Anyone know why I'd want a perfectly flat slab? Or have I been doing things wrong all this time..
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Re: Iron slab

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

That would be to hit your head on when it all goes wrong :Slap: - it is important that is perfectly flat so it will not leave a mark! :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have known a few framers in my time and not one of them had an iron slab. Sounds like the guy has his wires crossed somewhere. A engineer might have such a thing. :idea:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

It would have to be quite an accurate head butt to use that plate as it is only 4" square! :shock:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Never needed an iron slab though I do have a few blocks of steel and lead for weights.

But an iron slab :? The fabrication company next door have steel benches for welding, but as yet I haven't had ghe need to weld a wooden frame :giggle: .
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How old is this guy?

There was a time when some framers, conservators, restorers and bookbinders used to use them, but that was a very long time ago like the 1930's, or perhaps earlier. I can't image that anyone uses them anymore.

He's right about them being really flat. They often were used in conjunction with a thin polished zinc sheet, when wet mounting large items dead flat. That sort of thing is all history now!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

A letterpress printer will have one for locking up type.