PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
daisy
Organisation: South Lanarkshire
Interests: Too many to mention

Urgently needing deep rebate frame

Post by daisy »

Hi,
I have been asked to frame a tapestry requiring a deep rebate frame. I wanted to use Ashworth and Thompsons 825.42 see picture below. Ashworth and Thompson no longer supply this. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get hold of something similar. I would really appreciate your help. I have already commited to having this ready for Tuesday!!!!!! it will measure 145cm x 130 so I need a lot. Any help will be gratefully recieved.
Thanks in advance
Daisy
825.42.jpg
825.42.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 7565 times
Roboframer

Re: Urgently needing deep rebate frame

Post by Roboframer »

I looked a that on A&T's site - it's 80mm wide and 50m high with a 33mm rebate! It allowed me, logged in, to add it to my basket too, so I'm not sure what's going on there if it's discontinued!

Nothing comes to mind in such a chunky flat profile, wide mouldings with deep rebates tend to be sloped. You could easily stack two mouldings to make something very similar though, a narrow flat gold mitred on its side, capped (as in sits INSIDE that box) with a wide moulding in a similar profile/colour with a normal rebate, of which there are many.
daisy
Organisation: South Lanarkshire
Interests: Too many to mention

Post by daisy »

Thank you Robo,

That is exactly what I did when in a meeting with the museum. Brought my lap top and catalogues, we decided on the wood, I checked the website for stock levels and seeing it was in stock I confirmed with the museum I would have it ready for Tuesday!!!!!. went to order the next day and was told it had been discontinued.....so frustrating. I have already ordered the Glass too at £506 plus Vat to me (WW Laminate Ar with UV). I understand when catalogues go out of date but not the websites.

Any dark woods maybe mahagony that come to mind?

Daisy
markw

Post by markw »

Always a sod when that happens. Using Estlite this moulding comes up with a stock warning which would prompt me to call them to confirm they had enough stock. I often find that Wessex have stuff that A&T run out of - but having looked in the catalogue they don't seem to have stocked this one.
I noticed I don't have it on my wall - which means I have removed it in the last few weeks - or the A&T rep removed it last time week. All of that absolutely no help to you and I am sure we all share your frustration at having to go back to a customer with bad news - especially when you have obviously made an effort to check stock.

I get quite frustrated by what seems to be a reluctance to keep up to date stock levels. I was trying to price up a job yesterday only to find that the newly released Nielsen samples didn't exist on their stock sheets - so no price for customer. This probably indicates that so called live stock lists aren't live and probably don't give that accurate an indication of your chance of getting the stock you need.

(I generally find that A&T are quite good at indicating low stock levels via Estlite - never use the website so couldn't comment on that. Pretty sure that Framiac has online stock levels as well).
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's very annoying when this happens. :evil:

That's a very individual profile and even doing it by stacking separate profiles and hand-finishing it wouldn't be easy.

Rose and Hollis do various plain sections that might fill the bill. I've just done one which is not a million miles away. It's about 4" wide.The rebate is not as deep, but fixing a piece of timber to the back would cure that problem. You would have to paint and/or gild it.

Further info will be supplied on request..... :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

That's a difficult one to copy in such a short time scale. It would help you a lot if your customer would choose another moulding.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:That's a very individual profile and even doing it by stacking separate profiles and hand-finishing it wouldn't be easy.
The same profile without the deep rebate is very common, no hand-finishing required; all you have to do is find one and then create your own depth and to do that all you need is a 25mm or so flat gold moulding that matches the tone, or as close as poss, it'll be on the side and it's quite common to have the side of a moulding a different colour or tone to the front.

This is the method I'm on about ...
outer.jpg
outer.jpg (88.18 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
outer plus inner.jpg
outer plus inner.jpg (134.39 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Unique mouldings in Cambuslang have an unfinished moulding profile that would possibly work although it's possibly(almost certainly) a bit too big for the morso
http://www.unique-wholesale.co.uk/384-p ... -moulding/

Or Holroyds might have something that could help?

http://www.fwholroyd.com/h506828000/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks for that link easypops. :D They have a moulding that I have been looking for. :P

But back to the OP, this one looks close. Fix a bit of timber one the back to deepen the rebate and bingo.

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If you don't mind slicing up Rose and Hollis mouldings A138 and A179 with a table saw, you can get a reasonable representation of the inner and outer edge raised profiles. The main body could be created by sandwiching a number of F8, or F10 Rose and Hollis spacer profiles together.

A router and router table would be helpful in removing any jointing lines between sandwiched segments on the flat surfaces. If you really wanted to (and I'd rather not bother), you could recreate the textured surface on the centre section, with a tub of course pumice acrylic mediun, but it's a lot of messing about to do it!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Roboframer, I think that would probably need a sub-frame to prevent sagging, given the enormous dimensions of the frame?

Anyway, more to the point, what have you done there; looks interesting, and presumably it's a moulding not used in the normal orientation, but I can't work it out!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Like I said, that's just a method, not necessarily the mouldings for this job.

I've cut the larger of the two mouldings below on its side to create a box and capped it with a small ornate moulding which sits inside the rebate created by mitring that way.
side cut 001.JPG
side cut 001.JPG (339.33 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
So you could cut a narrower moulding on its side for the depth and cap it with a wider one and there's plenty in the required profile about - the back of the wider one could have a nice strong batten screwed and glued to it.
side cut 002.JPG
side cut 002.JPG (345.34 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Thanks. It's much clearer now the mitred corners are all stuck together (like a spider with broken legs!) Hadn't realised how ornate the big flat moulding was.