Lion South shut

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Jamesnkr

Lion South shut

Post by Jamesnkr »

This email has just arrived. I was planning to go on Monday. Annoying!
Dear Customer

I am writing with regret to let you know that the trade counter at Lion South is now closed.

This has been a difficult decision for us, and I realise it will come as a blow to many customers who have found the branch very handy and enjoyed a warm relationship with the team there.

Our range has expanded significantly in recent years, to the point where we can no longer stock everything at the branch - making it very difficult to ensure we have all the items you need when you visit. For this reason we have decided to focus our efforts on serving you from our main warehouse in Birmingham, where we have everything available for speedy despatch directly to your workshop via national carrier.

I do apologise for the inconvenience this may cause, but assure you that my colleagues in Birmingham will do everything they can to look after you.
Roboframer

Re: Lion South shut

Post by Roboframer »

A bit sudden!

A few weeks ago I had an email saying their (Southern) van delivery would cease WEF Sept 7th because "most customers in your area are choosing to use carriers" (Free next-day for a min £50 spend seemed good to me but there you go)

Eleven days later the branch has gone altogether. There's a few 2+2's to make 5 or 6 from there - but the true 4 is probably what they have said plus something else.

Sad news, whatever.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I hope the company as a whole is ok... :sweating:
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It's called consoladation. Lots of companies are doing it in these uncertain times. They won't lose much business by doing it, but they will probably reduce their fixed overheads quite a lot.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Got to admit I was 'gobsmacked' when I first heard the news from the sales counter in Birmingham after trying to phone Lion South on Monday (calls to Lion South have been routed via B/ham for a month or two ????)
Since then I have had the first of the rescheduled van deliveries yesterday, seemed to work well other than 1 item missed off the order which was sent overnight and received by 9.30 this morning, not a bad service.
It's a great shame for those who no longer have a job, it was good to work with all of those guys and I wish them all well in the future.
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

I had a deliver on the Southern van, on Thurday 17th.The delivery driver, Roland, a very helpful chap, advised me that Birmingham were sending the southern deliveries to him & he would be deliver them on to the customer.Tony the rep & Roland are the only employees in the South...
ratty
Organisation: John Howarth
Interests: Framing, Art

Post by ratty »

Lion Birmingham now have no 'blade sharpening' access on their website.

Maybe they are cutting down their services in Birmingham too?
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Possibly a oversight on the new website?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Possibly only for collection or van route, otherwise you'd have to send them to them.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

In the past I've phoned them to arrange collection and their normal courier collects the blades. I hope they will still be sharpening blades.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Post by johnwphotography »

I was in the Birmingham shop last week and another customer was collecting a set of blades and leaving another set for for sharpening. The old days of wandering round and self service has gone, the new slimmer catalogue is glossy and colourful, but lacks the comprehensive feel of the previous 50. I don't really think Lyon has changed in spirit, we now live in an age of internet shopping and the return to centralization reflects this. I was pleasantly surprised that they managed to find a very obscure spare for me, oh and a lad arrived for a job interview whilst I was there, a good sign that things are OK.
Not your average framer

I spoke to Lion earlier today, just to check what's happening. They are expanding their range, (which is what they said), they are continuing to operate their London area delivery van service from Birmingham and they are still sharpening Morso blades. Sounds like business as usual to me.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
ratty
Organisation: John Howarth
Interests: Framing, Art

Post by ratty »

I phoned Lion concerning there omission from the website of their blade sharpening services highlighted in red on any of their 'Morso Mitre Guillotine' section of the 'F' variety, and had rather a drawn out conversation with a lady. :(

She 'guessed' that it had been omitted because there is no ordering blade sharpening online, only by telephone (seems strange?). :?

She advised me to look in my Lion book for prices etc, which I found rather confusing as I was on the Lion site online so I would have to find the book and look it up, whereas I had previously just clicked a mouse on the relevant page to get the latest information on the service.

She did however promise to pass the message on. :roll: (maybe she will though as I went into some detail!)