Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Benhen
Organisation: Ben Henriques
Interests: Fine frames

Distressing!

Post by Benhen »

Don't want to replicate this..... But how on earth was it distressed, any idea? A machine, a chain, not one punch at a time surely?
It is a new frame.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 8725 times
Graysalchemy

Re: Distressing!

Post by Graysalchemy »

It's to short a piece to see if there is a repeat but if it was a factory finished moulding then I would have thought it was a machine.
Benhen

Post by Benhen »

All very trad; gesso, white metal, that yellow dye (forget its name), then distressed.
(Still reeling from the Lowry anecdote, good one).
prospero

Post by prospero »

Looks like creepy-crawlies to me. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Benhen

Post by Benhen »

Sure the Italians would know, beats me though.
Benhen

Post by Benhen »

How about this one?
Nice deep and full profile, but I like the layering of darks. Probably harder than it looks to achieve.... Certainly for a novice like moi.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (302.71 KiB) Viewed 8693 times
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

That definately looks like it has been bashed with a chain. I had frames for a Thai restaurant which had frames which had to look like they had come out of a flee market. The first time i did it I gave them a bit of a rub with sand paper, only to be told by the client that they dragged the round the carpark to distress them more. The second restaurant I did I used a rasp and a hammer to bash seven shades of Sh*te out of them. The end client was happy. :D :D

Might get myself an old bike chain for the next one :giggle: :giggle:
Benhen

Post by Benhen »

Look carefully, Graysalchemy, the line between the leaf and the black bole is very delicate. It's been done by a skilled operator. A bit above your average Thai takeaway.
I'd hate to say what the whole kit will be retailed for. top end of a five figure sum. (Don't fall off your seat)
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Benhen wrote:Top end of a five figure sum. (Don't fall off your seat)
Bottom/low mid end more likely?

Original frame anyway; here's another.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (38.68 KiB) Viewed 8651 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

I think you could get a reasonable version if you got a Dremel and used an engraving tool. You might have to experiment.
I've done this to produce fake woodworm. After you have nibbled it a bit, go over with dark wax to stain the fresh cut surfaces. You can incorporate other ageing techniques such as scratching with a sharp implement(s), gentle abrasion with steel wool and a dusting with rottenstone.

This one was done like that. By dragging the tool sideways you can get the effect of the worm tracks.

http://petrbnsfineart.com/images/wormyframe001.jpg
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

Put it in a box with Rats
prospero

Post by prospero »

Benhen wrote:How about this one?
Nice deep and full profile, but I like the layering of darks. Probably harder than it looks to achieve.... Certainly for a novice like moi.
Probably easier to achieve than it looks. :wink:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

It's actually very hard to make something convincingly old. The thai restaurant chain thaikun is themed throughout to look like a bankok street market. Very convincing to but anything new has to be aged hence my battered frames. To make matters worse they had to be tasteless as well. Certainly not my choice but what was requested in the brief.
Benhen

Post by Benhen »

Thanks, Graysalchemy, sort of knew you were joking. But I like these frames too much to laugh. Thanks, Prospero... Looks like the same hand. Are we allowed to know where you got the photo??
I've tried to make something similar, and just couldn't get it. My moulding didn't have the gorgeousness which didn't help.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've been thinking about this a while before replying and I'm not so sure that this would be as difficult as most replies are suggesting. A Dremel with one of those tappered rotary rasps would be quite a bit quicker than punching the holes with a hammer and punch. Also you could use the rasp on it's side to make gouge marks as well.

The tappered rasp would have the advantage of not all the holes being exactly the same size, as the size of the hole would depend upon how deep the rasp was allowed to enter into the moulding.

The holes could be filled with a suitably coloured watered down emulsion paint and possibly followed with some paste wax and rottenstone. It should be remembered that a lot of things which look difficult to achieve are often quite a lot easier than most people think once you know how they are done!

How good do we reckon is the market for frames like these?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Benhen I'm not joking.
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

axminster power tools I think still do a mini shot blasting kit and would guess that's what may have been used

you can overdo shot blasting and the finish depends on type of sand/grit used

otherwise, check locally and there may be someone doing this- a steel manufacturers may help
prospero

Post by prospero »

Benhen wrote: Thanks, Prospero... Looks like the same hand. Are we allowed to know where you got the photo??

You mean the wormy frame? Out of my camera. :P

The moulding was some of that bilious pink driftwood that was v popular at one time. Apart from adding the holes It just had a wash over with mucky paintbrush-rinsing water.
Benhen

Post by Benhen »

Prospero, thanks for the reply, in a muddled state I disappeared down a wormhole and missed your photo. I had meant to direct the question to James, and his very similar Craigie. But thanks, the worm has turned, and am enjoying yours, it works well, visually.
Thanks for the thoughts, Kingswood. You're perhaps right. I wondered if it could be something at the spraying stage?? Further investigation needed.
James, on Craigie....can you say?
Benhen

Post by Benhen »

Mark, my own feeling is that they are fairly timeless... But get your point, a bit much.