Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Packaging customers work

Post by muffinski »

Just wondering what methods people use to package customers work when they come to collect. I am currently using bubble wrap if requested, half the time people say its fine and will just put it on their back seat of car. Does anyone use the andy wrap system the stuff that only sticks to its self?
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Packaging customers work

Post by StevenG »

Andy wrap for me... on everything, I put extra on the corners. It's a quick process & does help protect the item from minor knocks, things like car journeys etc
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Bubble wrap and handy wrap. You must wrap up frames though as any damage between your place and theirs, even though is their responsability, they may try and say it was already damaged. Its good practice to minimise all possible damage in transit even if you don't think it is your resposability.

Andy wrap doesn't really protect enough IMHO.
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

Bubble wrap and handy wrap. Never would anything leave without being wrapped with bubble wrap.
Anything Framed
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Thanks guys, good point about from shop to home scernario. I was thinking to bubble wrap corners and then use andy wrap.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

We use bubble wrap and on large frames we add plastic corner protectors.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

I use foam on a roll (the stuff a tv comes wrapped in when new) and then handy wrap.... but only after the customer has seen the finished frame and is happy with it so they can't say it was damaged my end.
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Uncle Sumo

Post by Uncle Sumo »

I get my kids to make corner protectors from offcuts of backing board then pop it into a print bag. Customers can see finished work but the work doesn't need unwrapping and wrapping again.
Sean
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've always used bubblewrap. I like to wrap the frame as soon as it's done so it doesn't get dusty waiting for pickup. You can see which frame it is and it's easy enough to unwrap to show the customer the finished result.
I've tried the jiffyfoam stuff and it does have a few advantages. It doesn't squash like bubblewrap, but you can't see though it and if you tape it the tape doesn't hold as well as on bubblewrap.
Bubble wrap is also slightly 'grippy' so frames stacked in the back of a car won't slide around.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bubblewrap here and the annual spend on it and all other packaging materials is in our pricing software.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Bubble wrap and handywrap, on everything before it leaves the shop, always show the customer every picture in the order and then wrap, the one you don't show them is the one they will drop and say the damage was there when they picked it up from you

Handywrap by it's self offer very little protection IMHO
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Post by caro »

I reuse every scrap of packaging I can lay my hands on, corrugated from wrapped moulding deliveries, mount board delivery boxes, glass sheet box cardboard, if that runs out I use bubble wrap. Some customers bring their wrappings back For 're- reuse! Some people try to take their pictures without wrapping but I make them wait while I wrap because frames can easily get knocked being put in/ out of a car - its called 'good service!'
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

We use bubble wrap, twice round and fold over the edges, then twice round the other way and fold over the edges and then cover in cardboard either from the Ultravue glass or the moulding delivery. As we only frame with anti reflective glass it is a great way of getting rid of the cardboard! If it then does not fit in their car it is already packed for collection by Fragalistics. :D
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Seems bubble wrap is the main contender. What do people pay for their bubble wrap, personally pay £31.93 vat inc for 100m of 1200mm small bubble. Is there a better deal to be had out there?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

About £18 + VAT
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Any chance of a link Grays?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

You need to shop local IMHO. I negotiated with a local supplier who I use but one of the framing wholeseller did match the price. I use gotlieb Packaging here in Manchester.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I pay around £22 plus vat for 100m x 1500 (split into 2 x 750mm) but I buy 20 at a time.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

You need to shop local IMHO
I pay around £22 plus vat for 100m x 1500 (split into 2 x 750mm) but I buy 20 at a time
I do use a local supplier, but might be worth doing some more research and maybe by in bulk rather than a roll at a time
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I only buy 1 or 2 roles at a time I also pay about the same for 1500 split into to two.